Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Chemical formulae (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   My Home-Made ID11 trouble ----- (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13628)

pentaxpete 8th February 2021 09:14 PM

My Home-Made ID11 trouble -----

I make up ID11 Formula from the Chemicals. Recently I found a batch of liquid 'Promicrol' in my Chemical Store given to me by a now-deceased Camera Club Member who worked at the Brentwood Branch of Champion Photo-Chemistry before they went broke and have been using THAT, so my ID 11 has not been used. When I did a 2008 dated ILFORD DELTA 400 Pro in it 1+1 dilution for recommended time the negs came out with HORRENDOUS Contrast and Grain ! Developer had 'Increased in Activity' on standing' Do any other Group members suffer this ? Any Answers ?

Svend 9th February 2021 01:31 AM

Pete,
It looks like you've been bitten by the notorious D76/ID11 increased activity bug. I had a chat with another member about this a year or so ago, and it seems that if ID11 or D76 stock is stored in partially full bottles it can actually increase its energy. Change in pH due to oxidation, or something like that, was the cause. I will look for the thread and post back here.

Svend 9th February 2021 01:36 AM

Found it:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=12389

John King 9th February 2021 07:44 AM

I have heard about thus but never experienced it myself although I use ID11 as my standard developer. It never seems to discolour or alter. I do believe the increase in activity talked about will come within a few days after mixing. Currently I have a 3/4 full half litre bottle, some of which I used last week on Fomopan 100 and it was perfectly normal.

I wonder if the increased activity is due to using the stock solution being returned to the bottle after use. I always use it at 1-1 - use onece and throw away and never at full strength for multiple films.

Lostlabours 9th February 2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentaxpete (Post 138272)
I make up ID11 Formula from the Chemicals. Recently I found a batch of liquid 'Promicrol' in my Chemical Store given to me by a now-deceased Camera Club Member who worked at the Brentwood Branch of Champion Photo-Chemistry before they went broke and have been using THAT, so my ID 11 has not been used. When I did a 2008 dated ILFORD DELTA 400 Pro in it 1+1 dilution for recommended time the negs came out with HORRENDOUS Contrast and Grain ! Developer had 'Increased in Activity' on standing' Do any other Group members suffer this ? Any Answers ?

Champion never went broke, they took over May & Baker and are still a major manufacturer of Photo Chemistry.

Ian

alexmuir 9th February 2021 10:09 AM

I’m sure this problem is mentioned by Steve Anchell in The Darkroom Cookbook, although I don’t think a specific developer is mentioned.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Richard Gould 9th February 2021 11:19 AM

I have been using ID11 for a year now, I use it at stock, never seems to change , I mix 5 liter pack, and put it into 5 1 litre botttles, and use it as per Ilford instructions, often it does go down due to losing a little pouring it back into the bottles, but never had problems, getting 10 films per liter, so using stock solution just increasing time by 10% per film, doesn't seem to be causing problems
Richard

Stocky 9th February 2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentaxpete (Post 138272)

It seems like a huge increase in developer activity, more than I'd expect to result from the activity increase often reported for ID-11 and D-76.

Is it possible that there's a bit extra alkali? Or maybe carbonate instead of borax?

Rob Archer 9th February 2021 06:26 PM

I use ID11/D76 most of the time - both packaged and home-brewed. I usually make it up at least a week before I need it. I suspect the pre-packaged stuff has something added to prevent it anyway but I've not noticed any significant change in activity levels with my home-brew (Ilford formula).

pentaxpete 17th February 2021 09:18 PM

I squirt in some Butane Lighter Fuel from a can when the ID11 bottle is not full to stop oxidation.