Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Darkroom (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Enlarger bulb (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11661)

EveMurph 28th July 2017 04:31 PM

Enlarger bulb

Hi,

I've got a Meopta Axomat 5 and when the lamp has been on for a few minutes the enlarger head gets really hot, so hot it could burn you. This is really concerning me, the enlarger came with the bulb already in it. The Axomat max wattage is 150 and max volts 250.

The bulb installed is a Philips Photocrescenta 240v and 150w, would getting a lower wattage bulb solve the overheating??

Thanks.

Richard Gould 28th July 2017 04:48 PM

A 75 watt lamp will reduce the heat, but the head will still get hot quickly, I have a meopta Opemus 6, and I was using a 150 bulb, but lately they \re getting very hard to find and expensive, I have been trying out an LED bulb with great sucess, I bought 2 Dial bulbs from B@Q, a cold white and a warm white, the cols white is a 10.5 watt, equal to around 80 watt and the light is 4000k, which is not quitw so good, it messes up the MG filter values, the grades alter, but the warm bulb, which is a 14.5 watt, equal to around 100 watt incadesent bulb, is 2700K, which I think is around equal to the standard enlarger bulb, it works fine, the light is brighter, it is instant switch on and it looks as well frosted as the Photoccresnta bulb, paper grades are the same, contrast is the same, exposure times are about a stop faster, and no heat, I can touch the enlarger head no problems, no more negatives popping while focusing Ect, so I suggest you try one out,they are no more expensive than standard bulbs and last for ever,
Richard

alexmuir 28th July 2017 07:07 PM

Richard, I wonder if you could post a picture of the LED bulb you're using, or the serial or code of the product. I'm keen to try one in my Durst M601.
Thanks,
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Richard Gould 29th July 2017 07:26 AM

Hi Alex,
It is a dial led warm white, can't find a serial number, but itis 1521 lumens 14.5 watt and is a standard looking bulb, as far as I know they are pretty much standard,, at least from B@Q, which is where I got mine from, but I would assume that any LED bulb would be the same, they seem pretty much the same, there is a clear what they call a filliment type and the datndard led bulb which look pretty much the same as a standard enlarger bulb, and in my Meopta works well, just get the warm white 2700K which matchs the standard bulb
Richard

Paulographic 29th July 2017 07:54 AM

I have an Opemus 6 and use a daylight blue long life low wattage bulb which keeps the lamphouse comfortably just warm as well as being more actinic in colour temperature. I leave it on for the entire printing session using the red filter as a "switch" only turning it off at the end of the day or if going for a tea break as they can't be switched on and off all the time like incandescent bulbs, they need to "warm up" to full output. I got it from the haberdashers on the market who sells them to those doing embroidery or watercolours to get accurate colour matching.

Mike O'Pray 29th July 2017 01:15 PM

I hope this isn't deemed as leading the topic astray but just out of curiosity are there suitable LED/low energy bulb suitable for the colour head of a Durst M605. My head uses the twin pronged tungsten-halogen bulb. I get by nicely on 75W although the manual says 100W. Still, it would be interesting to know if there are substitute bulbs that use the two prong fitting. Just for clarity the two prongs are literally like thick needles which fit intoa ceramic holder and not the wide screw like fitting you see on the likes of overhead room lighting.

Thanks

Mike

alexmuir 29th July 2017 04:02 PM

Richard, thanks! I should be able to find it in my local B&Q.
Mike, I don't know, but will look into this as some of my other enlargers use similar bulbs.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Richard Gould 29th July 2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmuir (Post 115491)
Richard, thanks! I should be able to find it in my local B&Q.
Mike, I don't know, but will look into this as some of my other enlargers use similar bulbs.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The one I use is Dial, which is the b@q own brand, works well with black and white, Mike, I don't know about a color enlarger, but if you can get one I would think that it would be available from B@Q, they certainly seem to have a very large range of bulbs in all sort's of fitting, or maybe do a google search, good luck, I am a great fan of LED bulbs, we have gone over at completely to LED's, all from B@Q, they were doing a special on them
Richard

CambsIan 29th July 2017 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike,

I use a lamp like that, so your post made me wonder as well.

Had a very quick google, and came up with this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/THINKMORE-B...ce+halogen+75w

Have no idea if it's any good, may be the wrong colour temp for colour though

This one is similar but cool white, only 4000k so not daylight though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aurora-Prem...A34AMN3SJ235OF

Ian

What does anyone think

CambsIan 29th July 2017 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry forgot to upload a picture of the second lamp, so here it is

Ian