Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Monochrome Film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Developer suggestions for T-grain films (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2920)

Mike O'Pray 29th November 2011 07:26 PM

I fear we are now exchanging tips between we respondents as the OP hasn't visited the site since Oct 2010 :D

Well, you can't win them all :D The info of course is still useful.

Mike

snusmumriken 16th December 2021 09:14 AM

Ah well, I'll add on anyway, even though it's several years on. Might be useful to someone.

I use Barry Thornton's 2-bath developer for Delta 100 as well as for FP4+ and HP5+, and am very happy with the result (in 35mm). I used to be even happier with Tetenal's Emofin, but sadly that is now discontinued.

However, Delta 100 produces thin negatives (as one could expect from the technology!) and at least some film scanners (I used an Epson FS-4000 until recently) fail to capture its deep shadow detail. Negs that print perfectly on grade 2 scanned very poorly. Better scanners or DSLRs may perhaps handle this better, but I have no experience of them.

I love the sharpness and cleanliness of Delta 100, but I vacillate unsystematically between that and FP4+ because I can't make up my mind!

Tom Kershaw 16th December 2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snusmumriken (Post 142757)
I love the sharpness and cleanliness of Delta 100, but I vacillate unsystematically between that and FP4+ because I can't make up my mind!

Delta 100 works very well in Ryuji Susuki's DS-12 developer at box speed.

JulioF 20th December 2021 12:50 AM

I am late to the thread, but my favorite for 100TMax is Beutler. One of the best film-developer combinations IMHO.

Martin Aislabie 21st December 2021 04:08 PM

I'm a big believer in the KISS approach to photography (KISS = keep it simple stupid).

The weakest link in the my photographic efforts in me and there is no film + developer magic silver bullet.

I use ID11 at 1+1 with Delta 100 and find it gives great results.

Martin

JOReynolds 30th December 2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimoS (Post 34764)
...reasonably flat contrast curve which would make negatives suitable for scanning.

Given that the HD curves of scans can be adjusted, why is a flat contrast curve desirable?

Terry S 31st December 2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOReynolds (Post 142964)
Given that the HD curves of scans can be adjusted, why is a flat contrast curve desirable?

Someone more knowledgeable than me, will probably answer this question, but it seems the OP asked the question back in August 2010, but never came back to see the answers... Shame when this happens.

Terry S

Tom Kershaw 1st January 2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 142971)
Someone more knowledgeable than me, will probably answer this question, but it seems the OP asked the question back in August 2010, but never came back to see the answers... Shame when this happens.

Terry S

Unfortunately it is not just this forum where that happens.

GoodOldNorm 14th June 2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw (Post 142768)
Delta 100 works very well in Ryuji Susuki's DS-12 developer at box speed.

Agree, FX37 is also very good with T grain films.

Mike O'Pray 14th June 2022 02:21 PM

I used to wonder about the sense of old threads, especially when the original person has long since left but on re-reading the thread from the start I've changed my mind. I read of a certain Mike O'Pray's experience with some combinations of both DDX and Perceptol with D3200 that I had completely forgotten he had tried with what sounds like reasonable success
:)

Mike