Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   FADU - not secure? (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13450)

Peter Fitz 7th October 2020 09:00 AM

FADU - not secure?

Hi folks, it's showing "not secure" when I open FADU. Not sure if thats something you need to look into.

skellum 7th October 2020 09:11 AM

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...=fadu+security

Hi Peter
For your information.

Martin Aislabie 7th October 2020 09:16 AM

Hi Peter

Hope you are well and still producing great photographs.

FADU is not and never has been a secure web site.

I'm sure Bob will give you a much more extensive explanation of site security.

Martin

Peter Fitz 7th October 2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellum (Post 136020)

Thanks skellum, I hadn't noticed the thread you linked to.

Peter Fitz 7th October 2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie (Post 136022)
Hi Peter

Hope you are well and still producing great photographs.

FADU is not and never has been a secure web site.

I'm sure Bob will give you a much more extensive explanation of site security.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I read skellum's link and that seems to explain it. Maybe I just never noticed the "not secure" bit before.

Mike O'Pray 7th October 2020 09:27 AM

Glad to see you back Peter. We met a long time ago on one of the Ilford tours it was either the 2006 or the later 2008 one. Both were so long ago that I can't remember which :D

I would have been the only one there with a Jock accent :D

Mike

Lostlabours 7th October 2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray (Post 136025)
Glad to see you back Peter. We met a long time ago on one of the Ilford tours it was either the 2006 or the later 2008 one. Both were so long ago that I can't remember which :D

I would have been the only one there with a Jock accent :D

Mike

2008 :D I met you, Martin and Peter that day, and gave Peter a couple of enlargers in the car park for his workshops.

Ian

Mike O'Pray 7th October 2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 136029)
2008 :D I met you, Martin and Peter that day, and gave Peter a couple of enlargers in the car park for his workshops.

Ian

Thanks, Ian I had a feeling it was 2008 but couldn't be sure

I remember that visit more for what was going on elsewhere. It was the Banking Crisis month

Mike

Peter Fitz 7th October 2020 11:17 AM

Yes I remember that Ilford visit well from 2008, very enjoyable and great to meet you guys.

Bob 8th October 2020 11:30 PM

Browsers used to just show an unlocked padlock for a site not using HTTPS, but then a year or so ago most of them decided to be more vocal when you connect to a site using HTTP. They have subsequently dialled-back a little on the "the world will end if you visit this site" rhetoric as they got a lot of complaints and a lot of confused users who thought there was something wrong when it's just a case of using HTTP (un-encrypted) instead of HTTPS (encrypted). As FADU does not ask you for any personal details, it's a moot point. For sure, if you are on a site that is asking you for personal details, credit cards etc then you want to be on an encrypted connection (HTTPS).

The main thing using HTTPS prevents is a man-in-the-middle attack where you think you have logged into say, Starbucks WiFi, but you have really logged into the bloke sitting in the corner's laptop where he has a WiFi access point pretending to be Starbucks WiFi. An encrypted connection (which all banks and online shops etc will definitely use) means the data you send and receive is completely unreadable by any other computer sitting between you. All they can see is the URL you are talking to (barclays.com or whatever) - everything else will be complete gibberish.

To use HTTP a site needs a digitally signed certificate obtained from a 3rd-party trusted source (more than one which have themselves been hacked...) that identifies the site as being THAT site and no other. Maintaining, renewing and generally dealing with these certificates is a pain - especially when something goes wrong (as it inevitably does).