Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Darkroom (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Latest 2 enlarger lens (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11051)

paddy 13th June 2016 09:17 AM

Latest 2 enlarger lens

Hi folks
I just bought 2 second hand enlarger lens and awaiting them to be delivered
The first one is a 50mm f2.8 rodenstock rodagon 6 element (latest one), this is for the leica m3 i have just bought. And the 2nd one is a 105mm f5.6 Nikon N 6 element (latest one) for the mamiya rz.
I already have a 50mm f2.8 nikon N 6 element (latest one) for my nikon lens, but thought i would match the leica with a german enlarger lens instead of japanese glass.
I also have a 80mm f4 schneider componon s 6 element that i got free with the LPL 7700 enlarger i bought, i was going to be using this for the mamiya rz, but thought a 105mm enlarger lens would be better. Even though the last 80mm componon s i used with the rb67 pro s i used to have seemed to be ok with no light fall off etc
Has anyone used the 50mm rodagon and nikon 105mm en lens before, i know theres probably not much in it regarding quality etc
Sorry about the waffling, just so you know where im coming from
Paddy

photomi7ch 13th June 2016 09:21 AM

That's OK Paddy I enjoy Waffling generally with honey and ice cream:):)

MartyNL 13th June 2016 10:17 AM

It's an interesting thought trying to match the qualities of both the taking and printing lenses but it's not something I've experimented with myself.

I generally prefer the Rodenstock lenses as they tend to tick all my boxes. The 105mm gets the greatest use from 6x4.5 upto 6x9.

The schneider lenses I have, all have very soft click-stops and most aren't illuminated. And if my memory serves me correctly, Nikon's don't have half-stops or a floating (disengaged) aperture possibility?

paddy 13th June 2016 11:44 PM

The 50mm rodenstock came today, it is in nice clean condition and will be getting used when i have finished the roll of tri x in the m3, i like the way you can lock the aperture ring so you can go from f2.8 to f5.6 without overshooting 2 stops
I was looking at a 105mm rodagon but the nikon 105mm f5.6N was cheaper, and should be a good match for the 110 f2.8 lens on the rz
Pity it,s going to take nearly 2 weeks to come from the states
Paddy

John King 15th June 2016 06:37 AM

Rodagon.

I have what I consider to be the Holy Grail of enlarger lenses a Rodagon 50/2.8 Apo.

It is the best performing lens by far of any previous lens that I have used in the darkroom. At F2.8 it is acceptable but from F4 it is sharp, corner to corner, and when printing colour RA4 there is a total absence of colour fringing on the edges of high contrast areas.
It is well built and it's weight belies the fact it is basically plastic construction outside so there must be one hell of a lot of glass inside. And yes the preset aperture ring is a great help.

The longer focal length lenses if they are 'APO' will be just as good I am sure

I also have a Durst Neonon which was my lens of choice before the Rodagon, Almost as sharp (edge to edge from F4.5) and a delight to use (and about 1/5th of the price!) I used to have a Nikon 50/2.8 but it was hit by the dreaded fungus and could not be cleaned to eliminate the traces. Thats when I bought the Durst lens which I have heard was made by or on behalf of Pentax.

paddy 15th June 2016 08:38 AM

Hi John
Yes i did read the apo rodagon was the holy grail of en lens, they seem to be holding the price as well
Do you stop down one click (F4) or do you go to f5.6 when you print with the rodagon, ctein says the best aperture for that lens is f4 and minimum f7
He also says the best aperture for the 105mm f5.6 nikon lens i have is f7 (half a click) and f8 minimum, i thought 2 stops down was the optimum aperure for most non apo lens
Paddy

Brock 15th June 2016 08:48 AM

Paddy,

Matching camera and enlarging lenses is a daft idea - which is probably why I'm doing it too! I've got a 1960 M2 and a 1958 rigid Summicron but I've paired them with a 50mm Focotar (second version).

I haven't got my darkroom up and running yet after moving house but I just liked the idea of an "all-Leica/Leitz workflow". I don't expect to see anything earth-shattering in terms of results but the idea gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling and that's enough for me. :)

www.theonlinedarkroom.com

John King 15th June 2016 08:10 PM

Rodagon Apo

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddy (Post 108850)
Hi John
Yes i did read the apo rodagon was the holy grail of en lens, they seem to be holding the price as well
Do you stop down one click (F4) or do you go to f5.6 when you print with the rodagon, ctein says the best aperture for that lens is f4 and minimum f7
He also says the best aperture for the 105mm f5.6 nikon lens i have is f7 (half a click) and f8 minimum, i thought 2 stops down was the optimum aperure for most non apo lens
Paddy

I only quoted F4 as being the stop where it is sharp all over. F4 is too bright for me, especially with colour work. For a 10x12 colour print that would only be an exposure of around 3 seconds. I generally close down to F8 or 11 to give myself time to think and if I am going to 'dodge' a B&W print this also allows me time to do it.

paddy 17th June 2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 108870)
I only quoted F4 as being the stop where it is sharp all over. F4 is too bright for me, especially with colour work. For a 10x12 colour print that would only be an exposure of around 3 seconds. I generally close down to F8 or 11 to give myself time to think and if I am going to 'dodge' a B&W print this also allows me time to do it.

I know what you mean, if your doing a straight print then it,s not a problem
I think i will stick to stopping all my enlarger lens down 2 stops
Paddy