Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Meetings (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Teesdale May 2020 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13020)

Martin Aislabie 18th February 2020 05:42 PM

Teesdale May 2020

I am planning a short two day photographic trip to Teesdale arriving Tuesday 5th May departing Friday 8th May.

Teesdale is in an area of outstanding natural beauty in the northern Pennines.

Anyone who fancies it is welcome to join me.

I am going to stay at the Teesdale Hotel in Middleton in Teesdale - https://www.teesdalehotel.co.uk/

A 3 night stay single room bed and breakfast is £150.

A 3 night stay double room bed and breakfast £264

For those who live in the vicinity and who fancy a meet up either one the evenings for drinks/chat/looking at each other’s photographs or a day’s photography are most welcome. (PM me if you are interested)

The initial plan is :-

- Wednesday
AM – Low Force (waterfall)
Lunch at Bowlees Visitor Centre
PM – Summerhill Force (waterfall) and Gibsons Cave

- Thursday
AM - Holwick Scar
Lunch - tbd
PM – Coldberry Lead Mine
Evening – Print Viewing.

Of course there are lots of alternative locations depending on the weather and what else people want to do.

Both suitable outdoor clothing and walking boots are strongly recommended – Teesdale can get all 4 seasons in an hour at this time of year.

If you have any questions / queries about this trip please post them here.

Hope to see you there.

Best Wishes

Martin

Barry 18th February 2020 07:11 PM

What a superb idea Martin, PM sent.

B&W Neil 18th February 2020 09:38 PM

A great idea and location - well done Martin

PM sent.

Neil.

Mark Snowdon 19th February 2020 12:45 PM

Hi Martin,

pm sent

Regards,
Mark

Alan Clark 19th February 2020 04:35 PM

I once had an interesting experience near Middleton in Teesdale. My wife and I, and two other couples were there on a walking holiday. One day we walked down a path which led us round the edge of a small disused quarry. I was busy taking pictures of an old rusty tractor when we were suddenly accosted by a very irate "local" with a strong Scottish accent. He told us in very colourful language that we were trespassing and that he would confiscate my camera for taking pictures on private property. I tried to placate him, but the three ladies, all natives of Stoke-on Trent no less, were in no mood to be diplomatic. They told him in no uncertain terms that he was foul-mouthed, bad-mannered, and wrong. We were on a public footpath (though we clearly weren't, having taken a wrong turn) . He backed off. We continued on our walk. And later, back at home, the pictures of the rusty tractor turned out to be not worth printing. I'd taken far better ones in my local North York Moors.

I can supply a map reference of the quarry - in case you want to take tripods to defend yourselves!
Good luck!

Alan

John King 19th February 2020 04:42 PM

A 'Local' with a Scottish accent! In South Durham/North Yorkshire....Oh dear!

John King 19th February 2020 04:43 PM

I live close enough to join you for one day possibly the Wednesday if you will accept a free loader

Alan Clark 19th February 2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 131037)
A 'Local' with a Scottish accent! In South Durham/North Yorkshire....Oh dear!

John, I was born on the banks of the Tees. I know what locals sound like. That's why I put him in inverted commas. He lived locally, but was a Scot. It turned out that he was also a well-known troublemaker. One of his ploys was to put bollards and a private notice on the public road that went down to a caravan site and farm beyond his quarry...

Alan

Martin Aislabie 20th February 2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 131038)
I live close enough to join you for one day possibly the Wednesday if you will accept a free loader

Hi John

Excellent idea.

The more the merrier.

I'll send my mobile number on a PM.

Martin

Martin Aislabie 18th March 2020 10:55 AM

Hi guys

This will come as no surprise in light of recent announcements but I am calling off this proposed gathering.

Many thanks to all who contacted me expressing interest in the get together.

We can always do it next year.

Martin