Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   FADU YEARBOOK 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   FADU Yearbook 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10391)

photomi7ch 13th October 2015 03:40 PM

It is a shame that more of us did not take part and that this maybe the last time it is done.

From what I understand members are in and out of the darkroom all year there is now't in the submission process that states you have to print specially for the book.
Past submissions I have printed for the book, except this year I had to go to plan B at the last minute which I am disappointed about.

Circumstances have been out of my control, comprising to keep me away from the darkroom and hence away from the print exchange which I enjoyed a lot.
I did say I would support the book and was determined to do so even though the pictures submitted were not my first choice.

David Brown 14th October 2015 01:17 AM

How many copies of the 2014 book were bought?

TonyMiller 14th October 2015 11:26 AM

Rather than keep harping on with self-congratulatory bull about members being "bothered" or not, how about looking a bit deeper at what's going on here. How many friends can be "bothered" to contribute to the monthly print exchange? How many friends still actually print in the darkroom or even have a darkroom? How many use film and scan and print digitally? How many use film, scan and don't print at all? The premise of FADU is 'film and darkroom' - anything outside those parameters is excluded from the Yearbook. So be it!
Thanks to Les for agreeing to do what he's done under the circumstances and to those who have contributed but there's a lot more going on here than just being "bothered".

Derek Lincoln 14th October 2015 03:24 PM

Being one of the 17 contributors you must certainly publish Les. It is just a shame that all your effort is for so few people who have contributed.

Derek

Alan Clark 14th October 2015 03:27 PM

Tony has raised some valid points here.
There is more to entering, or not entering, than being "bothered". I for one have never submitted prints for the year book. But its not because I can't be bothered. Rather it is because I see my own photographs as being linked together as a body of work, and have no desire to show individual photographs as "one-off" items , out of context, alongside a random collection of pictures by a random collection of photographers.
If others do want to show their work in this way, then that's fine by me. People should be free to do what they feel works for them.
But people who haven't contributed shouldn't be made to feel that they have let the side down.

Alan

paulc 14th October 2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyMiller (Post 105061)
[...] but there's a lot more going on here than just being "bothered".

I'm afraid I'm one of the many that have fallen in to the "not bothered" category for both contributions to the book and the monthly print exchange. Currently experiencing some personal issues that I gave no intention of discussing except to say my enthusiasm for most things is currently at a low.

Jakecb 14th October 2015 10:21 PM

I still feel like I'm in the learning-curve area so would not presume that my shots are worthy of inclusion in a book. Also I run a business and have a busy family life so my love for all things film & dark-room cannot always take centre-stage. However, I am here and will be for years to come :)

Richard Gould 15th October 2015 08:57 AM

I did not send any prints this year as I have simply been very busy with work and other things such as getting my new classic Mercedes ready for showing, and decided to concentrate what spare time I had to staying with the Print exchange, If it had not been that the prints would have needed to be specialy printed to meet the size and border requirements I would have sent some from my library of back images, but the car us done, and next year work will not be a problem
Richard

Dave Hall 15th October 2015 10:37 AM

Let me use more suitable words then " For the seventeen members that entered".

Alan Clark 15th October 2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hall (Post 105080)
Let me use more suitable words then " For the seventeen members that entered".

Fair comment Dave...

Alan