Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography in general (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   220 Roll Film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12960)

Quendil 27th January 2020 04:26 PM

220 Roll Film

Bit of a random question but do you think any company will bring back 220 roll film?

Made me wonder as I have 3 220 films left which I will probably get round to using this year

Lostlabours 27th January 2020 05:30 PM

Not a chance, the machinery has either gone or needs extensive rebuilding and restoration and the cost at current films sales levels uneconomic.

Poercentage wise 220 was a very small percentage of MF film sales cmpared to 120.

Ian

Richard Gould 27th January 2020 05:35 PM

Simple answer is no.now that most Pro's shoot digital it would not be worth the cost of re making it, Pro's were the biggist users of 220, and to bring the macinery out of mothballs would be prohibative, even Adox, who are I think one of the most go ahead analogue photo company around can't see any way to get 220 back
Richard

Mike O'Pray 27th January 2020 05:38 PM

Short answer is NO - in my opinion. There are lots of reasons but essentially the cost of bringing it back relative to the revenue that would follow means that it would be a poor investment. Certainly when Ilford was Harman and before being sold to Pemberstone Investments, one of the executives who had a presence on Photrio was unequivocal about it not being worthwhile.

Non of the cheerleaders for film i.e. those who make their living writing about film's revival and promising "good times" ahead do not believe it will be brought back

Super optimists might say "never say never" and who can tell how much more of a film market we will have in say 3-5 years but even if you belong to that club then I feel that the kind of a timescale above is the minimum you can apply

Mike

Quendil 27th January 2020 06:06 PM

Oh well I suppose I will get 3 last uses out of my 220 back

John King 27th January 2020 06:44 PM

220 film

Looking at the various used equipment dealers it appears that there are masses of 220 film backs for various medium format cameras. What hope have they got in selling them as there is no 220 film available. Is it possible that they be converted to be used with 120? That has intrigued me for a while.

Quendil 27th January 2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 130351)
Looking at the various used equipment dealers it appears that there are masses of 220 film backs for various medium format cameras. What hope have they got in selling them as there is no 220 film available. Is it possible that they be converted to be used with 120? That has intrigued me for a while.

I shall try a cheap 120 film in my 220 back and let you know how I get on!

PanFrank 27th January 2020 07:26 PM

They can be used normally with a 120 film. I have done this. Only problem: Make sure to stop after picture n°12! N° 13 is almost always the best image you have ever done... or rather not. ;-)
There is a thread in the German forum, where now huge rolls of some meters Foma are sold and cut for 220. Seems to work fine, though needs quite some experience doing everything in the dark.

Mike O'Pray 27th January 2020 08:06 PM

I responded to a thread on Pentaxforums about the problems( real or imaginary) of converting 220 P645 insert to 120. It can be done relatively simply in the case of the P645 but not unsurprisingly for any forum respondents fell into two camps. Ones who believe that making the change will harm the motor driving the rollers eventually although no-one seemed prepared say how many rolls of film this would take and others who believe it will not do any harm, some of whom have run quite a large number of 120s through an insert set up for 220.

I have no knowledge of what the problems for other backs but yes there is a problem if you have a P 645 in that 120 inserts are getting scarce and expensive compared to 220 inserts which if the naysayers are correct may as well be paper weights as they will damage and may permanently ruin a P645 if you convert them

Mike

JOReynolds 28th January 2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 130346)
Poercentage wise 220 was a very small percentage of MF film sales cmpared to 120.
Ian

220 Film was introduced in 1965 and in 1968 I was persuaded to buy some 220 hangers for our Wainco processor. The film had to be looped over a cylindrical bobbin, which left a streak on the film. I remember that Kodak answered at the time that looping was bound to cause problems. We warned customers of this. Although we catered primarily for professionals, very few brought in 220 film.