Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Enlarger Manuals (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Gnome enlarger manual (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13440)

tonyowen 2nd October 2020 02:26 PM

Gnome enlarger manual

Does anyone have or know of a source for a Gnome Universal Alpha II enlarger manual.

Terry S 3rd October 2020 04:19 PM

Tony, just looking there is quite a number on ebay uk at the moment, in varying conditions and at various prices, so check it out asap as sometimes better quality and well priced items can go quickly.

It looks quite like the first 6 x 6 enlarger that I had, many moons ago. :)

Terry S

EDIT. I've just noticed that your header asks about a manual but your post asks about the enlarger itself, so I hope I have been of some help.

tonyowen 3rd October 2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 135919)
EDIT. I've just noticed that your header asks about a manual but your post asks about the enlarger itself, so I hope I have been of some help.

Thank you for pointing out my typo - Not certain how or if I can edit my post

regards
Tony

[Edit by Bob: you only have a limited time to edit a post before it is locked (10 or 15 mins I think) - I have added "manual". ]

Richard Gould 3rd October 2020 05:40 PM

One good source of manuals for all things photographic, is Orphan Cameras, Mike Butkess's site, I have found manuals for pretty much every camera I own, from 40's leica's, though a large number of 1950's cameras including folders to my more modern dynax cameras, he seems to have a lot of manuals, also a google search very often brings results, as far as editing, there is an edit tab for a while after posting, which allows editing of posts for 10 minutes or so after posting, (I have made good use of it today,)
Richard

Mike O'Pray 3rd October 2020 07:18 PM

Tony, I only have the Gnome Beta and it's dismantled in my loft and I never has a manual for but it was a really simple thing almost primitive by modern standards so luckily never needed a manual

Butkiss is pretty good and worth a look.

If he has not got one, the other option is e-bay if there is one for sale with a manual. Contact the seller and ask if for a fee he/she would scan and send as a pdf or do hard copies and post.

Mike

Richard Gould 3rd October 2020 07:37 PM

If I remember from a long time ago, the Gnome manual was a very simple affair, just a few pages about fitting a plug, how raose and lower the head, use the Rangefinder for focus, nothing more about it just a simple, well made strong enlarger, I also had one made by MPP, the same people who made the Microcord, given to me a few years ago, again very simple, never had a manual for it, but I do remember that you could make giant prints on the baseboard with the head at the top of the colum then the head raised up on a very high sort of bracket, that raised the head almost twice as high as the colum, which was also very high, there were a few British made enlargers from the fifties/sixties that were very simple, just did the job well without any fuss, much like the Ensign and Microcords from the same period, simple but great tools,
Richard

TonyZ 22nd October 2020 08:48 PM

Hi All,

Just had the good fortune?! to pick up a Gnome Rangefinder Alpha 2 and I'm in the same boat as TonyOwen.

It seems to be set up for 6x9 printing, It has a 6x9 negative carrier and I have a 80mm lens but the problem I'm having is I'm getting some vignette-ing at the corners of a 6x9 negative due to the fact the light doesn't reach the corners.

I've tried messing around with the orientation of the condenser lenses but either I haven't hit upon the right configuration or maybe the lenses I have are for 35mm although they do cover the whole of the bottom of the enlarger head and are 6in (15cm) across.

Does anyone have any information that might help please? I've had a search on this forum and others but can't find any details relating to this.

Many Thanks

Tony Z

-------

Update

Having done a bit more research, google search with different words :). It seems it can be a problem, someone (on this site, I think) suggested opalescent glass in the head but as was said the bulb gets hot enough already which I can confirm. The other option which I may go for it is to use the opalescent glass but to change the bulb for a low voltage circular LED panel, if one exists or maybe make one, how hard can it be ;).

alexmuir 22nd October 2020 09:39 PM

The condensers are normally arranged convex to convex, so flat on top and bottom.
I don’t think 80mm is going to cover 6x9. Maybe 100 or 105mm would be more appropriate.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeHeller 23rd October 2020 08:35 AM

As alexmuir says you might need a 105mm lens as the 80mm may not cover 6x9mm.

Mike

Richard Gould 23rd October 2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyZ (Post 136295)
Hi All,

Just had the good fortune?! to pick up a Gnome Rangefinder Alpha 2 and I'm in the same boat as TonyOwen.

It seems to be set up for 6x9 printing, It has a 6x9 negative carrier and I have a 80mm lens but the problem I'm having is I'm getting some vignette-ing at the corners of a 6x9 negative due to the fact the light doesn't reach the corners.

I've tried messing around with the orientation of the condenser lenses but either I haven't hit upon the right configuration or maybe the lenses I have are for 35mm although they do cover the whole of the bottom of the enlarger head and are 6in (15cm) across.

Does anyone have any information that might help please? I've had a search on this forum and others but can't find any details relating to this.

Many Thanks

Tony Z

Update

Having done a bit more research, google search with different words :). It seems it can be a problem, someone (on this site, I think) suggested opalescent glass in the head but as was said the bulb gets hot enough already which I can confirm. The other option which I may go for it is to use the opalescent glass but to change the bulb for a low voltage circular LED panel, if one exists or maybe make one, how hard can it be ;).

Can't help with the lens, but an 80mm will not cover 69, you need at least a 100 or 105, condensers as fitted should cove the largest size negative the enlarger is meant to take, so as long as the enlarger is built to take 69 then you should be fine, having said that most Gnomes I know of were built for 66, so 69 might be too big, as far as bulbs go I have use66d an led bub, in my case a B@Q own brand Dial in my Meopta Opemus 66 enlarger for a few years now, so not a problem, just go to your nearest B@Q and get a Dial led but get the warm one, I tried both when I first switched and the warm bulb gives better prints than the cold also you can use a higher wattage bulb with LED, but the light produced is brighter than an opalesent enlarger bulb, so exposure times will be shorter so you need to stop the lens right down to alloe for dodging/burning

Richard