Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Monochrome Film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Minimum quantities of Perceptol stock per film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13538)

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 03:28 PM

Minimum quantities of Perceptol stock per film

I’m testing processing hp5 tmax400 and Fomapan 200 4x5 sheets in a jobo rotary with a drum capacity of 270ml with perceptol. Do you know if 100ml stock + 200ml of water would provide sufficient developer chemistry to fully develop this quantity of film?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostlabours 2nd December 2020 05:05 PM

Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian

Alan Clark 2nd December 2020 06:17 PM

I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan

Lostlabours 2nd December 2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Clark (Post 137055)
I know it's not a good idea to contradict Ian Grant on the subject of photo chemistry, but I know from practical usage that you can use a lot less than 150mls of Perceptol stock to develop a film. I get results that I am always very pleased with when I develop 35mm FP4 in Perceptol diluted to 1+3. I do this in a 300ml tank, so the amount of Perceptol stock is 75mls. FP4 comes alive with this treatment.

Alan

Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian

Alan Clark 2nd December 2020 07:10 PM

Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 137051)
Same answer 1+ 1 and 150mm dev 150ml water.

Don't process Fomapan with Tmax, Fomapan needs approx 25% less development or it gets excessively contrasty. Also shot the Fomapan 200 at 100EI.

Ian

Oh! Why not tmax and foma together?

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Clark (Post 137055)

Alan

Ah ok. I’ve found that Ilford state 250ml per film. 4 per pack!! But this is encouraging. Thanks.

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 137056)
Adrian was asking about a 6 sheet spiral hence the 150ml based on manufacturers 100ml per films (4 sheets of 5x4).

The 100ml of D76/ID-11, Perceptol, Xtol, etc is on the cautious side, but it depends on what you're shooting. What if there's a film or 4 sheets of snow scenes, or high hey subjects that's not average negatives so you could suffer under development with less.

Ian

Good points. I’m mostly shooting gloomy woodland pics though so it may be ok.

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Clark (Post 137057)
Hi Ian, yes, I see what you mean. For some reason I thought he was developing four sheets...And I will add that my strong preference is to photograph in strong light -hazy sunlight at least. So I am always doing reduced development anyway. So my 75mm of stock isn't too far below your recommended 100mls. and could work in favour of keeping the film's highlight density down. I would do things differently if I was wanting N+ development.

Alan

Also a good point. Thanks.

adrianlambert 2nd December 2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 137056)

Ian

100ml per roll?

From the Ilford power film data sheet:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4672a27005.jpg

Looks like 250ml per film.