Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography in general (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   "Teen hipsters discover joys of analog photography" (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9277)

Alastair 10th January 2014 10:03 AM

"Teen hipsters discover joys of analog photography"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200...home_multiline

Something that annoys me when people bring up the subject of film photography is this:

Quote:

"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness. But with film, you never really know what's going to happen. It's a surprise every time you develop and print your film. Sometimes there can be weird color granulations, random light splotches or double exposures."
It's not at all a surprise every time you develop your film. If you're getting weird colour granulations, random light splotches and double exposures, you're not doing it right.

If I get a surprise every time I developed my film, then I would rethink my processes and try and work on becoming consistent.

If I get a surprise when I develop my film, I'm surprised.

paulc 10th January 2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness"
What a load of [expletives deleted]. Dust, flare, chromatic aberrations, lens distortions, are all defects (not just in the digital world). Digital also suffers from noise, sampling errors, dead pixels, and software bugs. Finally, there is the subject matter, composition, and framing.

Miha 10th January 2014 11:24 AM

Good for them.

big paul 10th January 2014 11:51 AM

and good luck to the schools and colleges for promoting film photography ,at lest we know that we are hip and with-it man
groooooooooovy...

www.essexcockney.com

Eriktheviking 10th January 2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair (Post 89319)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200...home_multiline

It's not at all a surprise every time you develop your film. If you're getting weird colour granulations, random light splotches and double exposures, you're not doing it right.

If I get a surprise every time I developed my film, then I would rethink my processes and try and work on becoming consistent.

Now Alastair just sit down take a long slug of your favorite beverage and realise that not every "expert" is privaledged with that valuable thing called common sense.

Mike O'Pray 10th January 2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriktheviking (Post 89331)
Now Alastair just sit down take a long slug of your favorite beverage and realise that not every "expert" is privaledged with that valuable thing called common sense.

True, Erik but what's worse is that some who are so privileged decide to abandon it for cheap, cynical journalistic lines

Mike

Paul Glover 10th January 2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair (Post 89319)

This. Right here.

I'm sick to death of the whole "Film is lo-fi! Film is unpredictable! Film is ART!" thing. It does the true quality of film a terrible disservice and causes some people to mistakenly believe that their photographs are all great just because they were shot using film (oh, if it were only so easy... :p )

Miha 10th January 2014 11:26 PM

Give them a brake guys. Don't you agree that the first rolls of film you developed were 'unpredictable'.

JamesK 11th January 2014 12:01 AM

"Digital photography allows for no mistakes by the camera," Shaw says. "The picture is flawless, and you are the only one to blame for its apparent ugliness. But with film, you never really know what's going to happen. It's a surprise every time you develop and print your film. Sometimes there can be weird color granulations, random light splotches or double exposures."

So if you use film, there's a good chance you'll end up with some kind of fault? And these faults are good things?

Did you say this is from an article promoting film use?

Adrian Twiss 11th January 2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miha (Post 89349)
Give them a brake guys. Don't you agree that the first rolls of film you developed were 'unpredictable'.

The first film I developed was totally opaque. :eek: I was using a Paterson developer that should have been mixed 1:9. I mixed 9 parts of developer with 1 part of water :slap:. I remember thinking "bloody hell this could get expensive". :o. That was nearly 40 years ago.