Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   FADU YEARBOOK 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   FADU Yearbook 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10391)

Mark Snowdon 12th October 2015 08:36 AM

Hi Les,

I was wondering if you had received enough prints to enable you to produce the 2015 yearbook?

I hope your wife is making a good recovery after her accident.

Regards,

Mark

Les McLean 12th October 2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Snowdon (Post 105028)
Hi Les,

I was wondering if you had received enough prints to enable you to produce the 2015 yearbook?

I hope your wife is making a good recovery after her accident.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

I have to say that the response was disappointing, 17 members sent prints, but I have selected what I considered the best and ended with 37 prints, 4 less than last year. This number included 3 of my own prints to make up the numbers after having decided that I would not contribute for I have not developed a film for 8 years nor made a print for 3 years as well as making little written contribution to the Forum for quite a while.

I have completed the process of putting the book together but have not yet ordered a copy to see how the finished book looks in print as I am uncertain as to how it will be received, given that there were some comments last year about the numbers included. Perhaps this can be decided by asking our members to comment?

Thank you for asking about my wife, the burns unit nurse came to our house just last week and was very happy with how it had healed and that the foot looks quite good given the degree of damage the burh has done. The nurses from the unit have been visiting Marj twice a week for 4 months to dress her foot, they have been fantastic. I've now got quite a long job getting her confidence back for she is very unsteady on her feet.

chefsteve 12th October 2015 04:06 PM

Hi Les
Glad to hear that your wife is making a good recovery.
Re: the book I for one would purchase the book, as its always good to see other peoples work, as well as hopefully seeing something of mine in bound print.
Perhaps you could put low quality scans onto the gallery to give others a chance to see what they are buying?

many thanks for your time once again.
Steve

David Brown 12th October 2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 105033)
I have completed the process of putting the book together but have not yet ordered a copy to see how the finished book looks in print as I am uncertain as to how it will be received, given that there were some comments last year about the numbers included. Perhaps this can be decided by asking our members to comment?

Sorry to read this. I know how much work it is to put a book together since I just finished the process myself. (Digital work - can't discuss it here ... ;) )

I have no advice on whether or not to proceed. I feel very much as an adjunct member here. I do hope the rest of the membership will give their opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 105033)
Thank you for asking about my wife, the burns unit nurse came to our house just last week and was very happy with how it had healed and that the foot looks quite good given the degree of damage the burh has done. The nurses from the unit have been visiting Marj twice a week for 4 months to dress her foot, they have been fantastic. I've now got quite a long job getting her confidence back for she is very unsteady on her feet.

Glad to read this! Give Queen Marj our best! :)

BobRob 12th October 2015 04:26 PM

Hi Les,

Following the hard work and time you have put into this
It would be a great shame for the book not to be published
I would certainly buy a copy.

Bob Robertson.

GoodOldNorm 12th October 2015 08:42 PM

17 contributors out of 687 friends is a very poor turnout indeed, maybe just enough to produce a calendar/pamphlet. Are 37 prints enough to make a book? Due to the lack of enthusiasm I would consider future FADU Year Books non-starters. I cannot fully understand why the contributions were so low, it is always a pleasure for me to look at other members work in print. Personally, I would make this years book so as not to disappoint those who have submitted prints. Les, it is entirely up to you to decide if you choose to produce the book or not. I for one appreciate you giving up your time to put the book together especially under the added stress of having to deal with your wife's accident and injuries. Hope the missus make a swift and full recovery both physically and mentally, life is too short to be ill.

RichardWarom 13th October 2015 05:17 AM

Hi Les
I'm glad things are improving for your wife, it sounds like there's still a good way to go yet I wish you both the best.
It is a shame that response was so low, but if it should be decided to go ahead and print it I would certainly buy one to complete the process and it does sound like it could be the last one given the lack of contributors.
Richard

mono 13th October 2015 09:21 AM

I am sorry for not having contributed to the book.
I would certainly order a copy!
As others have already stated I am interested in others work, too!
And I`ll have to complete the row of yearbooks ;-)

Keith Tapscott. 13th October 2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 105033)
Hi Mark

I have to say that the response was disappointing, 17 members sent prints, but I have selected what I considered the best and ended with 37 prints, 4 less than last year. This number included 3 of my own prints to make up the numbers after having decided that I would not contribute for I have not developed a film for 8 years nor made a print for 3 years as well as making little written contribution to the Forum for quite a while.

Thank you for asking about my wife, the burns unit nurse came to our house just last week and was very happy with how it had healed and that the foot looks quite good given the degree of damage the burh has done. The nurses from the unit have been visiting Marj twice a week for 4 months to dress her foot, they have been fantastic. I've now got quite a long job getting her confidence back for she is very unsteady on her feet.

Eight years is a long time not to have used or processed any films. Have you given up altogether using film cameras and darkroom printing Les?

Sorry to read about your wife's accident here on FADU and glad that she is recovering well.

Best wishes, Keith.

Dave Hall 13th October 2015 02:18 PM

It was good to talk on the phone Les.

I am sure that you have compiled the book to a high standard, given your comprehensive experience in mono.

For yourself AND the seventeen members who could be bothered.. the book has to be published.

From the northlands


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.