Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography in general (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Ilford MGV RC paper (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13335)

Ian Marsh 2nd August 2020 10:41 AM

Ilford MGV RC paper

Not ordered paper for a while and noticed this new paper Ilford MGV RC.
Anybody tried it?

Would be grateful for any experiences.

Terry S 2nd August 2020 12:05 PM

I've just done a quick search of this site for any previous reviews of Ilford's new MG V paper, but surprisingly couldn't find anything, so this is the first.

Anyway, I opened my pack of 10" x 8" RC Pearl MG V this week and processed a few prints in Ilford MG developer, at 1 + 9, in my Nova slot processor. I was quite excited to try it, having read reviews elsewhere.

Most of my negatives were previously printed on grade 3, on MG IV paper, with the rest of the variables above being the same.

Although I read the tech sheet with the paper, I was still quite surprised to see the image appear very quickly, at just 10 seconds in the developer, with a total time of 1 minute.

My first print on MG V, when compared to the same print from the negative on MG IV, were VERY different. The new paper produced a print with MUCH more contrast, which was just a bit too much, even for me, who likes a print with good contrast.

The second print, using a grade 2 filter, was much better to my eyes. It still had good contrast, as hoped, but it was just right. and the blacks, well, they were just blacker than before, if that's at all possible?

So, although I have only done a little bit of testing of the new paper, my first impressions are good and I can see me enjoying using this paper.

I've also read other comments from users, most of which agreed with me, but of course there are a few who say that it has too much contrast and that they would be buying up depleting stocks of MG IV. I will have to try and find a dense negative and try printing on grades 0 and 1, to see what the contrast levels are like with those filters, to see if maybe they are exaggerating a bit and could achieve a softer print if required.

So, as usual the only way to find out if you like it or not, is to buy some and try it, but if you're like me, I don't think that you'll be disappointed. :)

Terry S

Ian Marsh 2nd August 2020 06:28 PM

thanks for the response Terry. I will definitely be trying some as I sometimes struggle to get decent contrast.
Incidentally what developer did you use?

John King 2nd August 2020 07:11 PM

Mgv

I posted a few months ago that I was very pleased with it. It is about 1/2 a stop faster and seems to be a 1/2 to 1 grade harder and a little cooler as well. Actually very similar to the old Kentmere FB even though it is a RC paper.

I will be using it from now on, it is actually better (My opinion) than Kentmere RC but I speak as I find,

John King 2nd August 2020 07:24 PM

The post I made and comparison prints were posted on the 22nd March 2020

Ian Marsh 2nd August 2020 08:06 PM

Thanks John. Can you post a link to your post. Having trouble finding it.

Mike O'Pray 2nd August 2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Marsh (Post 134819)
Thanks John. Can you post a link to your post. Having trouble finding it.

Ian try a search for "multigrade 4 and 5 comparisons" which is John's title This should get you there.

Mike

John King 2nd August 2020 10:32 PM

Try this http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=13089

Terry S 3rd August 2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Marsh (Post 134816)
thanks for the response Terry. I will definitely be trying some as I sometimes struggle to get decent contrast.
Incidentally what developer did you use?

'... Ilford MG developer, at 1 + 9...'

Terry S

Tony Marlow 3rd August 2020 01:33 PM

John King's comparative prints is exactly what I found with MGV. It really makes me question if there is any advantage in using fibre paper. The other thing I found was that I had trouble trying to sepia tone the paper but that might be me. The selenium toning worked as it usually does. I think it is a great improvement on previous neutral tone resin papers.

Tony