Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras - medium format (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   News Lens for my ETRS/ETRSi (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1704)

TomHayward 8th November 2009 07:32 PM

News Lens for my ETRS/ETRSi

Hola amigos!

I have recently purchased and am awaiting delivery of the 500mm EII lens. Anyone had any experience of this lens, good or otherwise?

Cheers :)

Thomas

Rob Archer 8th November 2009 09:09 PM

I borrowed one a few years ago and was impressed. It is, however, quite heavy, and I found I needed a tripod/monopod combination to keep it steady and to prevent too much strain on the lens mount. It's very sharp. I didn't end up buying it as I probably wouldn't have used it enough to justify it.

Rob

TomHayward 9th November 2009 12:49 PM

Yes, i'm expecting it to be heavy. I believe it weighs in at over 6lbs... It should also double up as a handy kosh!

TomHayward 13th November 2009 10:59 AM

Any idea at how much these normally retail for second hand? They seem to be pretty scarce. The lens i have bought is the only one i've seen for sale since i started collecting my Bronica kit (eight months ago).

Rob Archer 13th November 2009 07:43 PM

I've only seen one recently (and it's probably the one you've got!). The 'holy grail' of Bronica tele lenses is the 500PE (the white one). If you need to ask the price you probably couldn't afford it! The one I'd like to get my hand on is the 30mm - although I know I can't afford it!

Rob

TomHayward 16th November 2009 11:46 AM

Yes, the PE would have been lovely, but i had already decided early on that i wasn’t going to spend £3000 on a second hand lens!

Therefore, it was always going to be the EII. I read that the PE was autofocus, which to me doesn’t seem feasible. I would be very interested to know how that would work!

My EII actually arrived on Saturday, so i am looking forward to giving it a run and seeing what it can do.

The 30mm is the fish-eye lens isn’t it. I wouldnt mind that one either, I think they are around £450 second hand - so its pricey, but still considerably less than when brand new! At some point, I would like the 250mm as well, as there is quite a jump in focal length from my 150 to the 500!

I buy quite a bit of my kit from KEH, although i do pick up the odd bargain on EBay. I have noticed there appears to be a renaissance of Bronnie buying on there, and prices have definitely gone up since when i first started collecting.

Which of the ETR series cameras do you use Rob? I have the ETR-S, and Si.

Thomas

Thomas

Rob Archer 16th November 2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHayward (Post 19763)
Yes, the PE would have been lovely, but i had already decided early on that i wasn’t going to spend £3000 on a second hand lens!

Therefore, it was always going to be the EII. I read that the PE was autofocus, which to me doesn’t seem feasible. I would be very interested to know how that would work!

My EII actually arrived on Saturday, so i am looking forward to giving it a run and seeing what it can do.

The 30mm is the fish-eye lens isn’t it. I wouldnt mind that one either, I think they are around £450 second hand - so its pricey, but still considerably less than when brand new! At some point, I would like the 250mm as well, as there is quite a jump in focal length from my 150 to the 500!

I buy quite a bit of my kit from KEH, although i do pick up the odd bargain on EBay. I have noticed there appears to be a renaissance of Bronnie buying on there, and prices have definitely gone up since when i first started collecting.

Which of the ETR series cameras do you use Rob? I have the ETR-S, and Si.

Thomas

Thomas

Same as you, ETRSi, with a ETRS body as a backup. I've just had the ETRSi serviced and the cable release socket replaced - all for a very reasonable £39. Intro2020, who (I believe) are the original importers, too. Excellent service. I use the 40, 60, 75 and 150 lenses, although 90% of the time I use the 60 these days. I find the Bronnie a great very versatile camera.

Rob

TomHayward 17th November 2009 09:06 AM

Thank you for the heads up on that company. It would probably be wise for me to have both my cameras serviced, as i have no idea if that was done often - or at all - by their previous owners.

I own the 40, 75, 150 & now the 500. As stated above, I want the 250 as well, but i'll hold fire for the time being, as my wife has only just recovered from the fiscal shock of my last purchase!

Do you find the 60 a better quality lens than the 75? I am assuming this is the case, because there is very little difference in the focal length.

B&W Neil 17th November 2009 09:08 AM

Yes I have to agree they are great cameras and lenses - the whole system is excellent. I used both Bronis 645 and 66 for many years (not at the same time!) but sadly I no longer own one. My favourite lens for the ETRSi / ETRS was the 40mm, although I occasionally used a 50mm and a 150mm. In all the years I owned them I never experience any problems at all. The 500mm lens much be a big beast !

Neil.

TomHayward 17th November 2009 11:40 AM

Yes, the 500 is pretty big, but surprisingly not as big or heavy as I had imagined. It will definately have to be a tripod job though!