Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Art and aesthetics (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   sky arts master of photography (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11128)

big paul 4th August 2016 08:20 PM

sky arts master of photography

has anybody been watching master of photography on sky arts and what do you think of it ,I can sum it up in three words but that's my opinion ,I am not enjoying it very much but just out of curiosity I will watch it to the end ,unless I loose the will to live before the end that is .they all look the part but that is as fare as it goes the final digitally mucked about images are quite boring to say the least .What I cannot understand is there must be some good photographers out there so where did they get this lot from ???. sky arts is one of the better channels on sky and they can have some great programmes on there but this is not one of them ..

www.essexcockney.com

Mike O'Pray 4th August 2016 09:30 PM

I cannot watch any Sky programmes, Paul, as I refuse to subscribe to a form of "pay TV" and I do not want to derail this thread but seeing your disappointment makes me wonder why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

It seems to repeat other stuff within months of a first showing but this programme seems to have fallen off the "repeat conveyor belt".

Mike

NJHrs 4th August 2016 10:42 PM

I just can't watch shows like this, same with their guitar hero series and I really love the guitar. These shows are all variations on the Voice theme which has been done, never produced what it was supposed to and should really just end as this sort of concept blatantly doesn't work.

I have the Wagner ring cycle on the box now so I can't disparage Sky Arts to much.

Steve Smith 5th August 2016 06:52 AM

I watched the first one. I obviously wasn't impressed as I haven't seen any more.

Steve.

Chrisvclick 5th August 2016 08:15 AM

Interesting, must have been "bad going worse" :) ... Watched the first one and found it "ok" but the second I found boring, though it was a city I love,.. Didnt like the expert's attitude in the second either... Shall see what the 3rd brings and decide...

photomi7ch 5th August 2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray (Post 109472)
I cannot watch any Sky programmes, Paul, as I refuse to subscribe to a form of "pay TV" and I do not want to derail this thread but seeing your disappointment makes me wonder why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

It seems to repeat other stuff within months of a first showing but this programme seems to have fallen off the "repeat conveyor belt".

Mike

That makes two. I refuse to pay to watch adverts :eek::D:D

mpirie 5th August 2016 12:16 PM

I watched the first 20 minutes of the first episode and then lost the will to live.

I haven't watched anymore.

I just can't understand why Sky (or whomever the show makers are) feel they can declare the winner of such a contrived and staged show as a "Master of Photography"? :mob:

Why not make a programme on the "real" masters of photography?

Oh, yes, that would be too expensive and Leica may not sponsor such a show. :shock:

Mike

Terry S 5th August 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray (Post 109472)
...why BBC hasn't repeated "The Genius of Photography" series which I thought was excellent and worth repeating now several years have passed.

Mike

I can't comment on the Sky programme as I don't subscribe - I find there are more than enough 'free' channels around without having to use up even more of my time watching even more tv, however much I enjoy it.

My main point though - the BBC 'Genius of Photography' is out on DVD and is really worth the purchase. I have watched it all on DVD numerous times as well as having dipped in and out for certain bits. One of my better buys I think. :)

Terry S

Richard Gould 5th August 2016 04:31 PM

Like Mike and Terry I can't comment on anything from sky as I object strongly to paying out to sky, I prefer freesat, but the BBC Genius of photography was brilliant tele, shame it is not repeated, msyber next winter when BBC seems to exist on mainly repeats
Richard

big paul 6th August 2016 10:38 AM

you know then you are watching a tv series and you think that it cannot get worse ,well it just did ,I am not a prude but I am not keen on nude photography ,I am more your head and shoulders type of photographer anyway I think people look better clothed ,my opinion of this episode is it was worse than the other two ,this programme and the quality of the photography is definitely getting worse thank god for a fast forward button I will carry on recording it just to have something to moan about .I am becoming a right victor Meldrew .I don't believe it

www.essexcockney.com