Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras - medium format (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My Fuji GA645Zi has a problem. (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12219)

GoodOldNorm 22nd October 2018 08:18 AM

My Fuji GA645Zi has a problem.

The LED screen started to show partial numbers for about two weeks then the screen went blank when I unloaded a film. From what I have read on the net it is probably the ribbon from the camera body to the camera back that is broken. The camera will not wind on because it can not communicate that the film is at the start. I will post the repair cost if possible or I will strip the camera myself and have ago if no one is willing to repair it for me. Really fed up, the Fuji is one of my favourite cameras, I will not replace it if the cameras "Achilles Heel" is the LED screen ribbon.

MartyNL 22nd October 2018 09:04 AM

Hi Norm, I have one of these cameras and was using it just last week. Do you happen to know if there is any way of avoiding or minimising the risk of damaging the LED screen ribbon?

big paul 22nd October 2018 09:51 AM

just been having a look at these cameras on youtube and I can understand why you like them so much ,what I was thinking is can you get the ribbon connector out ,if so maybe a computer repairer could do something with it ,anyway good luck and I hope you get it sorted out..

www.essexcockney.com

GoodOldNorm 22nd October 2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyNL (Post 121784)
Hi Norm, I have one of these cameras and was using it just last week. Do you happen to know if there is any way of avoiding or minimising the risk of damaging the LED screen ribbon?

Hello Marty, the only thing I can think of would be: do not let the film door swing all the way open when loading a film, this would avoid stretching the ribbon. The ribbon can be seen at the hinge end of the door if you remove a small plastic cover that just clips in and out. It is bent very acutely around the film door it is obvious why they break.:slap:

GoodOldNorm 30th October 2018 01:50 PM

Snapped

1 Attachment(s)
Photograph of snapped ribbon cable, tried several camera repair shops but no spares are available. My plan when I have the time is to try stitching the cable with conductive glue and 0.1mm copper wire.

Terry S 31st October 2018 11:31 AM

Rather than a camera repair shop Norm, have you tried a computer repair one, a the cable looks like the ones used in computers that I have seen opened up. Regrettably I have no more knowledge than this but thought it worth mentioning for you to try.

I too have one of these lovely cameras and it too, is one of my favourites to use, so I'm watching this thread with interest.

Terry S

SanMiguel 1st November 2018 08:59 AM

I don’t know if this is any help, Norm, but round our way one or two computer/phone/electronic repair shops have sprung up. Mostly it seems run by Polish nationals and very little seems to phase them in terms of repair work. I once left a DeVere head in for rewiring and new fans and while I’m sure theyd never seen anything like it before it was accepted without question. (In the end I decided to abandon the fix and went for an LED light source instead but that’s another story).
Good luck!
Michael

Terry S 5th January 2019 02:29 PM

Norm,

did you ever get this problem sorted?

I am interested as I too have one of the cameras that you mention and it would be handy to know... just in case!

Terry S

GoodOldNorm 5th January 2019 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 122747)
Norm,

did you ever get this problem sorted?

I am interested as I too have one of the cameras that you mention and it would be handy to know... just in case!

Terry S

Yes, I taught myself to micro solder.
I cut out a 15mm section of the broken ribbon and replaced each track with 0.5mm enamelled copper wire. I could only do 5 or 6 tracks at a time before I ran out of patience and concentration. I used low melt solder. How long it will last who knows? See photos, note how the cable is held behind the hinge pins you can see how much the ribbon cable has to bend. It took me a lot of time to complete the task, not a job I would want to do again. If I had known how to remove the top and front of the camera my job would have been much easier.

Terry S 6th January 2019 12:44 PM

Wow! I am very impressed with what you managed to achieve Norm. :)

It's handy to know that it IS possible, but hopefully it won't be needed just yet and hopefully not at all.

Terry S