Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Photography in general (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   RH Designs Timer 3 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13651)

Nat Polton 18th February 2021 04:38 PM

RH Designs Timer 3

I am looking at getting a new enlarger timer.
I have noticed the RH Designs Timer 3 is on sale at a couple of places at reduced prices, including the makers own web site.

Does anybody know if this an introductory offer for a new timer on the market, or an end of product sale?

Cheers.

Richard Gould 18th February 2021 06:56 PM

As far as I know tge timer 3 is the latest version, at that price worth getting,
Richard

MartyNL 19th February 2021 10:44 AM

I don’t believe I’d invest in a timer that doesn’t show tenth second increments up to 99.9 seconds. I feel it’s a shame they designed a screen with only 2 digits rather than three.
As a result, it doesn’t allow for the accurate manual input of the f-stop above 10 seconds or the full range of f-stops.

Nat Polton 19th February 2021 12:18 PM

Hello Marty.
There are two switchable ranges available on the timer.
0-9.9 in tenths of a second and then whole seconds after that.

The other range on the unit is in sixths of an f stop.
They say anything smaller than a sixth is barely noticeable.
I have never tried f stop timing so will take their word on that.

Here is a link to the manual, and another to Youtube.
I hope I am reading the manual correctly.
Cheers.

https://rhdesigns.co.uk/wp-content/u...er3-Manual.pdf

EDIT.
The Youtube link does not work.

Try searching Youtube for RH Designs Timer 3

Cheers.

Terry S 19th February 2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat Polton (Post 138478)
EDIT.

Cheers.

I've just watched the video and the guy presenting seems to like it and as long as you can remember a list of shortcuts, then maybe this timer is for you.

I have one of the RH designs units with lots of extra buttons and an exposure taking unit, which I would find hard to print with out now, as I'm a definite convert to the f-stop way of printing.

Hopefully I can give the link that Nat had problems with?...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgxApdOQD4

Terry S

Mike O'Pray 19th February 2021 02:18 PM

The thing that struck me was that for only £129 more you can get the Analyser Pro which does an awful lot more.

I maybe haven't appreciated everything that the Timer 3 does but certainly my first impression was that it was a lot of money for a timer even if it does fstops

Mike

MartyNL 19th February 2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat Polton (Post 138478)
Hello Marty.
There are two switchable ranges available on the timer.
0-9.9 in tenths of a second and then whole seconds after that.

The other range on the unit is in sixths of an f stop.
They say anything smaller than a sixth is barely noticeable.
I have never tried f stop timing so will take their word on that.

Here is a link to the manual, and another to Youtube.
I hope I am reading the manual correctly.
Cheers.

https://rhdesigns.co.uk/wp-content/u...er3-Manual.pdf

EDIT.

Cheers.

Hi Nat, I've watched the video and taken a quick look at the manual, especially page 7.

I rarely use times under 10 seconds and would seriously advocate a timer to allow manual f-stop time programming above 10sec. whole seconds are too coarse. I would also want an f-stop timer that could perform half, third and quarter stops and not only sixth's of a stop, as this one only seems to do.

By the way, I do all my times manually in a regular timer.

KevinAllan 19th February 2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray (Post 138480)
The thing that struck me was that for only £129 more you can get the Analyser Pro which does an awful lot more.

I maybe haven't appreciated everything that the Timer 3 does but certainly my first impression was that it was a lot of money for a timer even if it does fstops

Mike

The difference is £189 according to the current prices on the RH Designs web site. I have the Analyser Pro and it can do a lot more than the Timer 3 - but having said that it's taken me a long time to really get to grips with it.

Terry S 19th February 2021 05:15 PM

I too have what I believe to be the Analyser Pro model. I did go through the instruction manual when I first bought it, learning all of the different things that it could do. But over time I have come to use only a few main procedures possible, that being getting me close to the initial exposure time and being able to set exposures in f-stops, for both the main exposure and the burning in.

It's a great item to use in the darkroom and I use it every time in a printing session, so it was money well spent.

Whether I would have bought the model being talked about, if the more advanced model either was not available or too expensive for me at the time, is another question, with the answer being probably not. I much prefer the extra buttons that take you straight to what you want it to do.

Expensive maybe, even on the second-hand market, but having used it for so long now, I would heartily recommend it, even if it means saving up for one.

Terry S

Richard Gould 19th February 2021 06:50 PM

I bought my analyser/pro around 25 years ago, and I agree with Terry, it does take time to master, but once mastered it is a tool thatv I would not like to print without, 99% of the time it gives me a good print straight off, including both the dodging and burning times, but you are in control of it, if you prefer to print on, say G3 rather than G2 you can use it to get the base exposure at 3, dodging and burning, using the grey scale, again you are in charge of, again I mostly use it for exposure dodging and burning, but paid for itself many times over in saved paper,
Richard