Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Monochrome Film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   35mm and 120 film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13598)

Bill Sell 21st January 2021 09:55 AM

35mm and 120 film

Morning All,
Perhaps you can hep me on this one. Why can you leave 35mm film in a camera for many months or even years but if you leave a 120 film in a camera it appears to produce a 'patchy' negative?
thanks
Bill

MartyNL 21st January 2021 10:07 AM

I believe it has to do with the backing paper which will be more susceptible to environmental conditions.

Rob Archer 21st January 2021 11:30 AM

It depends a lot on how the camera and film is stored. The backing paper is, as pointed out, quite susceptible to environmental conditions. Some films fare better than others though. Ilford films in general don't like sitting around for too long and PanF+ in particular starts to use the latent image after only a few weeks. I once left a roll of it in a camera for six months before finishing the roll. The results were blotchy and the frames I'd already exposed were so thin as to be unprintable. Other films seem bomb-proof. I was once given an old 120 folder and developed the 40 year old Kodak (Panatomic-X IIRC) film that was in it and got printable images.

Richard Gould 21st January 2021 02:29 PM

I agree with Rob, depends a lot on the film, some just seem to work no matter what you do, I have left PanF+ for just a few days before developing and the latent image is so low it is unprintable, HP5+ seems not to bad, and Kodak trix seems to be not bad, but Tmax can be badly affected when left, but my personal choice, Fomapan 200 or 400, I have used a 120 roll film over the course of a month, especialy when working on still life, and never had a problem, although some will disagree, I think storing in a fridge, doesn't help, years ago I would store all my film in a fridge, in those days mostly kodak but some ilford, and I found if I used it over a few days sometimes there would be mottling and other problems on some of them,so I decided to not bother with fridges and just store my films in the living room, which I still do today, winter with the heating on, summer without, and no problems with mottling on Kodak or Ilford, and with Pan F just use and develop on the same day, and with todays Fomapan rhe films are sitting on a shelf near the window, just used a couple this week, one 35mm and 1 120 that had been there since at least last October, and no mottling, or other problems
Richard

Bill Sell 21st January 2021 09:29 PM

Thanks all,
I'm glad the solution is easy. Don't leave 120 film in the camera or damp room and process quickly.
Regards
Bill

Mike O'Pray 22nd January 2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sell (Post 137916)
Thanks all,
I'm glad the solution is easy. Don't leave 120 film in the camera or damp room and process quickly.
Regards
Bill

Bill, I am sure that all three parts of that advice are good but I do wonder if part two, namely the damp room may be the key part. In the last couple of weeks I developed a Tmax 400 that I admittedly has not left in my P654N for more than a few weeks after exposure but had exposed probably 4 years ago and it was fine

I think the key part is never leave it in a damp environment whether that be in or out of the camera. Yes rapid exposure of the whole film and very quick processing takes care of all three parts of the advice but I think that avoiding dampness is the key

Mike

Richard Gould 22nd January 2021 10:40 AM

yes after exposure remove film from camera and keep in dry room, but with my Fomapan, the only film I use, I may be a week or uso before processing, all of my MF cameras, all 6, are always loaded so that I just need to grad a camera bag if the weather looks promissing, but with only 12 or 15 shots per film I use the film pretty quickly, so rarely have part exposed film in a camera, only time is if shooting still life, m,ight take me a couple of days to use up the film,the main thing is to keep 120 film dry, which is why I store my film in the living room, which is always dry
Richard

John King 23rd January 2021 08:50 AM

Decayed latent image

Am I the only one who has never had a problem with image degradation if exposed and not developed withing a few days? I have never had this problem at all - ever. Even with Pan F which appears to be the main 'culprit'. I am sure that my methods can be no different from anyone else's.

Head scratching here!

This also applied to slide film and with colour negative C41 I only had one instance. This was with 120 XP2 whilst not a colour film it uses the same technology and I put this down to the film being out of date by the time I processed it. The only film I made sure was developed immediately was Kodak High Speed Infra rad, but that was to limit any outside influences on the infra red emulsion

Richard Gould 23rd January 2021 09:07 AM

In the 25 years of using Fomapam I have never suffered latent image problems, even leaving the film several weeks between taking add processing, the only real problem was with Panf, which I find even after a day or so can degrade, Maybe you have just been lucky with it?
Richard

Terry S 23rd January 2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 137955)
Am I the only one who has never had a problem with image degradation if exposed and not developed withing a few days?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Gould (Post 137957)
...the only real problem was with Panf, which I find even after a day or so can degrade, Maybe you have just been lucky with it?
Richard

I'm the same as John, in that I have tried many different b/w and colour negative and slide films over the years and have also never had a problem with latent image degradation (L.I.D. :) )

I've been testing darkroom paper for it, on a separate thread on this forum, of which I must update on the next visit to the darkroom.

So could it just be down to how the films / loaded cameras, are stored?

Terry S