Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   New products and offers (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Shanghai B&W Film (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13046)

B&W Neil 29th February 2020 11:19 AM

Shanghai B&W Film

Just for a matter of interested has anyone tried Shanghai B&W negative ISO100 film? It comes in most sizes for LF, MF and I believe 35mm.

I am not expecting it to compare with the the likes of Kodak / Ilford etc., but sometimes these 'alternative' films can have a character of their own, if you are willing to accept the odd issue.

So I would very much like to hear from anyone who has tried it and has made some prints from a Shanghai negative.

I have a feeling I may pick a 120 of it up sometime and give it a try - I know I shouldn't but the itch is there!

Neil.

Quendil 29th February 2020 11:25 AM

Not heard of that one before. I have a couple of alternative films in my fridge to try this summer. I would be interested to know what it turns out like in 120.

David

B&W Neil 29th February 2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quendil (Post 131342)
Not heard of that one before. I have a couple of alternative films in my fridge to try this summer. I would be interested to know what it turns out like in 120.

David

There is pleanty on the net about this film and there does seem to be some quality control issues - but others like it.

I am only intersted is how it prints - not for 'fine prints' but for something with a different look. If it provides that I can put up with a few niggles.

Hence why I want to know what the negs print like.

Neil.

B&W Neil 29th February 2020 12:34 PM

Shanghai GP3

Apparantly this film is now sold as Shanghai GP3 and is made in a new factory. It is claimed the issues of the previous film have been fixed.

Here's an intersting 'user' review.

https://www.davidjtoman.com/blog/2018/5/gp3

Neil.

Mike O'Pray 29th February 2020 05:07 PM

Mr Toman unfortunately doesn't really say on what grounds this GP3 is the substitute for Acros as opposed to any other 100 speed film. In fact my impression is that he talks a lot but says very little.

Clearly this stuff has a chequered history of manufacture and it is not clear if the risk is outweighed by its relative cheapness which seems to be a thing of the past.

Just based on the pics it looks to be quite contrasty stuff but that might just be the style of Mr Toman's photography

I appreciate that none of what I have said answers your question but the 2 key questions from me would be: Is it available from any U.K. stockists and if so what is the price. If not then what's the effective price if it has to be an e-bay order

Thanks

Mike

big paul 29th February 2020 05:45 PM

scratch you itch Neil ,I am doing that with xray film at the moment :)

B&W Neil 29th February 2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray (Post 131357)
Mr Toman unfortunately doesn't really say on what grounds this GP3 is the substitute for Acros as opposed to any other 100 speed film. In fact my impression is that he talks a lot but says very little.

Clearly this stuff has a chequered history of manufacture and it is not clear if the risk is outweighed by its relative cheapness which seems to be a thing of the past.

Just based on the pics it looks to be quite contrasty stuff but that might just be the style of Mr Toman's photography

I appreciate that none of what I have said answers your question but the 2 key questions from me would be: Is it available from any U.K. stockists and if so what is the price. If not then what's the effective price if it has to be an e-bay order

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your response.

As mentioned in my OP I am hoping for comments / observations from printers who have made prints from Shanghai GP3 negs. I added the link to David Toman's site because he has used the old and new film.

I thought David covered it quite well with plenty of pics to illustrate what he was saying. But there are many other links / examples on the net that can be referenced if the David one doesn't appeal.

As for the rest of it – I'm really not interested because I shall make my own mind up. I am only interested in the visual art side of what this film may or may not be able to achieve. It's new (to me) and maybe from a visual point of view – it could make prints with a different look.

I am still hopeful we can find a printer, who has made prints from Shanghai negs, who is happy to share the results with us on FADU.

Neil.

B&W Neil 29th February 2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big paul (Post 131358)
scratch you itch Neil ,I am doing that with xray film at the moment :)

Many thanks Paul,

I will give it a go soon - probably in 120. I am tempted to buy some Shanghai GP3 in 5x4 but I could be stuck with a few sheets if it doesn't appeal!

I have never used XRAY film and well done giving it a go. I hope you post your results here some pics as examples.

I am always looking for something new to challenge what I can achieve as a print maker. That's where the real interest is with me.

Love it :-)

Neil.

CornishChris 29th February 2020 11:06 PM

I have used it before in 120 format check out my results here, still got a few rolls left I found it okay, developed in ID11.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/897934...57671309321196

B&W Neil 1st March 2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornishChris (Post 131377)
I have used it before in 120 format check out my results here, still got a few rolls left I found it okay, developed in ID11.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/897934...57671309321196

Many thanks Chris - great stuff!

Love the effect you've achieved with the old Halina + Shanghai combo. There is certainly a retro look that works very well.

I have in mind of trying Shanghai in one of my pinhole cameras. Once I've done this I'll make a few prints and post the results here for those who are interested.

Neil.