View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 12:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I wrote an article which was printed in the AP about 25 years or even more ago where I described the effect of Rodinal developing a film at 1-50. I do remember for payment I got £75 and a box full of Kodak colour film.

The edge effect is also the reason unless you adore grain it should not be used to develop films of 200 iso or greater. If you think that may be excessive I tried it once with Kodak High Speed infra red. It was like a pebbledash wall. It almost had physical texture.
£75?!?! That amount went down over the years. I vaguely remember submissions in the later years that I read photo mags, it went down to about £25 PER PAGE of whatever was used, text or print.

And I don't know if it was applied for text submissions, but I remember when AP magazine started giving ONE 35mm colour film for pictures submitted and then this became NOTHING and yet people still sent in work. The lure of wanting ones work to be seen in print was the force behind that I imagine. When I next visit a W H Smiths, I'll have a quick browse of the mags, but especially AP, and see what the ruling is now. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to PAY THEM when submitting stuff now! LOL

Terry S