View Single Post
Old 13th November 2016, 08:51 AM
Friend

The seller sounds as if he/she was telling you Porkie Pies. Gnome enlargers were all sold with a carrier. In fact any enlarger that I know of would be sold with one, If not a plain carrier it would have been a universal type to take all sizes from 35mm up to 120 unless it is one of the simpler 35mm only types which the Apha certaily wasn't. Their 35mm models were designated 'Beta'

All lenses are removable unless it was a 'special' made for a specific purpose it sounds like more 'porkies' to me

The small image is almost certainly down to the lens. What focal length in mm does yours have? I expect it is around 105mm or 75/80mm. For a decent size image with 35mm you need something around 50mm.

If I recall, Gnome enlargers didn't give a terrific enlargement anyway as most had a fairly short column. To get a bigger enlargement you could get an extension which fitted over the main column to give an increase of perhaps 4-5 times more enlargement. Gnome are not made anymore so getting an extension would only by chance, finding one 2nd hand would have be only by VERY good luck.

If you cannot get it to focus, I would be VERY interested to know how the seller actually managed to do so. With whatever lens it has it should still be able to focus

I am sorry to say this but it sounds very much as if you have been 'had over'. One of the perils of E Bay I'm afraid.