View Single Post
Old 13th November 2016, 05:11 PM
Friend

Luke, pity about your bad luck.
Here is a strategy that might get you some good enlarging gear at little or no expense. You live in Sheffield. I would bet money on the fact that within a few miles of where you live there are lots of enlargers gathering dust in people's lofts and outhouses, left there by photographers who have abandoned their darkrooms in favour of the digital approach, but who can't bring themselves to dump their old enlarger at the tip. And not just enlargers. There will be developing dishes, paper safes, contact printing frames, timers; even boxes of paper, and chemicals.
How do you find these people? You make contact with all the camera clubs in your area - I bet there are a few. Tell the club secretaries that you are trying to put a darkroom together. Tell them that your lack of experience has landed you with an enlarger that doesn't seem to work. Ask them to ask their members if they have anything to help in your quest. I think it highly likely that someone will have a decent enlarger, and be pleased to see it being put to good use, "free to a good home" And give you lots of advice as well.

Alan