View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 09:07 AM
Friend

Norman,

My experience with printing 35mm on a 5x4 enlarger has been on the De Vere 504, so my comments are limited to that enlarger.

A 5x4 enlarger is a big piece of kit and I find for LF and MF my De Vere 504 is a joy to use. The enlarger will also do 35mm (with the correct neg holder, lens and lensboad) and the results will be superb. But I find using such a small neg, on this big enlarger, the process can sometimes be frustrating. However, the other 5x4 enlargers may do 35mm better ?

So I would say if you mostly do LF and MF, with the occasional 35mm, the De Vere 504 maybe all you need. If it doesn't suit you for 35mm you can then buy a dedicated 35m enlarger.

With pre-flashing there is a much better way of doing this now with RH Designs Flasher. I have been using one for years and thoroughly recommend it. They can be obtained new from Secondhand Darkroom Supplies.

A 35mm enlarger would pre-flash papers up to its max printing size. But would take up space and would not be as versatile to use for pre-flashing as the RH Designs Flasher.

Neil.

Neil Souch