Thread: D-76 h
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 12:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakubV View Post
Hi Svend, reports say increased pH as result of hydroquinone oxidation...so, full bottle shouldn't change pH, I'd guess (only if was more interested in chemistry at school , can HQ react with oxygen form water?).
Some people swear that metol only developers give better edge sharpness than metol+HQ - as for my experiences, D-23 1+1 is very sharp, but I doubt that there is some difference compared to D-76 (at least up to 30x40 print from 35mm).
Also, without superadditivity, metol only developer should build high density areas slower, providing less contrast (I have noticed and use this with D-23).
Ah, so that's what's at work here. I did some searching before I posted my question, but could not find what was actually causing of the activity increase. Thanks for finding that.

BTW, I've started storing D76 stock solution in 500ml bottles, so the whole bottle is used up in a single session. So no more storage in half-full bottles.

I agree re. metol-only formulas. I use Perceptol a lot, esp. for scenes where there is a lot of contrast (snow, full summer sun, etc.) and find it to be terrific stuff. Very sharp, less contrast, a little softer rendering than D76, but still great depth of tones. Never tried D23, but I hear it is also excellent. Probably quite similar to Perceptol, I would guess.