View Single Post
Old 12th March 2022, 12:46 AM
Friend

I think that in theory at least the spools' diameters are all the same and while the opening for the stubs can be either straight or crosses this should make no difference

Presumably the film makers realised that in many cases the users might change rolls from say Ilford to Kodak to Foma or in those far-off days Agfa as well so if the spools' measurements were different then problems would arise. So standardisation was in everyone's interest

So might one of the spools be worn in some way or longshot here, is it possible that the "dodgy" spool was a leftover 620 spool which is thinner but otherwise is the same as 120 spools

I am fairly certain that in my Agfa Isolette I have used different films and simply used the previous maker's spool as the new take-up spool so that a Kodak spool was take up spool for an Ilford film.

I never noticed a problem but what was the case on at least one occasion was that the wind-on knob did not wind the film on tight enough and I should have pulled the end of the backing paper before sealing the film.

It only resulted in some black streaks on the edges of the film beyond the frames

However to be on the safe side it may be worthwhile using two spools from the same maker in each case on a just in case basis

Well done in getting and then repairing a camera for what turned out to be a bargain price

Mike