View Single Post
Old 20th April 2022, 06:58 PM
Friend

Default Negative Exchange Round 8

Expressions of interest from members wishing to participate in the next round of this exchange are now welcome.
For those unfamiliar with the exchange it is an opportunity to see a negative of your own printed by a fellow member, and in return receive a negative of theirs to print yourself. It brings the challenge of interpreting an image which you have never seen before, with no knowledge of the author's own intentions.
Rounds 6 and 7 operated as 35mm only, but we do have interest from members who work in other formats. It seems both courteous and appropriate to make the exchange open to those members.

From Round 8 onwards this will be a multi-format exchange.

The exchange will operate as follows:

1. Post in this thread if you wish to participate. Also send a PM to me with your full postal address. I may already have this, but I'll contact anyone who forgets to message me.

2. When sending your details to me by PM please also advise which formats you can print, and what format negative you might send.
For example:

I'd like to participate in Round 8. I can print 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, and 5x4. Will probably be sending 6x6 or maybe 35mm. This will (I hope!) allow me to make pairs where nobody receives a negative they cannot print.

3. After the closing date for expressions of interest has passed I will pair members and notify them by PM. This should happen within 48 hours. We will operate a pairing system, rather than random mixing of participants, to allow the most direct comparison of technique and style. If the number of participants is odd I will be wild card to make an even number for pairing.

4. Participants should select a negative to submit, and make their own print from it. Participants will be sending BOTH items.

5. The chosen negative should be safely packaged. The print from it should be placed in a sealed inner envelope, then both negative and inner envelope placed in an outer (postal) envelope This means that after printing the submitted negative, the recipient can open and view the Author's own version.

6. Participants will receive a negative from a fellow member, and should treat it with care and consideration. All effort should be made to avoid loss or damage. However: by submitting a negative members acknowledge accidents can happen, and post can go astray. Do not submit a negative if its loss would be upsetting.

7. The negative you receive can be printed in any way you like. Cropping, paper type, toning, alternative process, anything is fair game. On completing your print, return the negative you received to your exchange partner. Pack it as safely as it was sent to you. Along with the negative send the print you made from it. You in turn will receive back your own negative and a print made from it.

8. By completion, every member will have their own negative back along with a new version of it printed by their partner.

9. The aim of the exchange is to stimulate discussion of print techniques and methods: a gallery will be opened, and scans of prints posted there. We should end up with 2 versions of each negative from each participant. See here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ex.php/cat/571

General notes.
Aim to find a negative where you yourself see scope for more than one possible interpretation.

The exchange is a creative and hopefully enjoyable venture. It isn't intended to become stressful in any way. Participants who encounter any difficulties over timing should simply PM me to resolve any problems.
Members may also be participating in the well established Print exchanges ( http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ex.php/cat/501 ) and dates for the negative exchange are set to avoid direct clashes.

Dates for Round 8:
Closing date for expressions of interest: Friday 11-05-22 (3 weeks from now)

Date by which participants should send Negative (and own print from it) to partner: 08-06-22

Date to return received negative- 06-07-22

These dates allow about a month to make you own print, and a month to print the negative you receive. As mentioned, the dates are set to avoid coinciding with Print Exchange dates, and I'll bump the thread regularly to keep it fresh.

Should any part of the process be unclear, please ask in the thread or by PM. Suggestions for improvement are also welcome at any time.
Good luck everyone.