View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:19 AM
Friend

Default Problem with green / brown speckles in C-41 shadow areas

I am looking for some advise, just having started C-41 processing: As you can see in the attached images, there are green / brown speckles appearing in the shadow areas when I scan my negatives.

The film is Kodak Porta 400 (120), which is not out of date and has been stored in a fridge from when I bought it. It was developed in a Rollei Colorchem C-41 kit. The chemicals had only been mixed a couple of days before I developed this, and only a couple of films had gone through the baths before this one - so well below the chemicals' stated capacities. There are two things which, in hindsight, I did differently from the instructions, although I am not sure if they could have caused this: I agitated the film (in a Paterson System 4 tank) a fair bit more than stated, and I'd added a quick rinse between developer and blix bath. Beyond that, I believe temperatures were pretty exact at 38 degree C, and timing was at 3min 15sec.

What else? For the three weeks in Ghana (where the pictures were taken) the films were in quite a warm and humid environment, although not excessively so.

Just having started with C-41, I imagine it will most likely have to do with something during the processing... and so any suggestions to stop this from happening again would be hugely welcome - in particulary if you happen to have come across this type of defect before!

Kai

Click image for larger version

Name:	colour speckles (2).jpg
Views:	401
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2580

Click image for larger version

Name:	colour speckles.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2581

Last edited by kaifis; 23rd October 2016 at 12:34 AM.