Thread: Clubs
View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:23 AM
Friend

Default Clubs are fun!!

What I mean is I can indulge in a bit of mystifying (I mean confusing) the judges who visit for competitions.

All my entries are from film and I found that judges do not expect anything but digital prints. Listen to their comments where they say something like "this appears oversharpend a little" or "I do like the introduction of grain". I also hear quite often "I have never seen this paper surface before". (Usually on unglazed glossy fibre base). With me knowing at the time, (as well as a few other members knowing) they have never been near a computer I also indulge in winding the judges up by submitting landscape prints with unpronouncable (to them) titles in Welsh or Gaelic. Or titles with a hidden meaning! I rarely enter to win but for the involment and purpose of joining in.

As far as I can tell I am the only member who who regularly uses film to record images and this always provokes interest when it is mentioned in general conversation. This also includes what are called projected digital images in other words electronic slides. Mine are all scanned from film. So far no one else has dipped their toe into the waters but I keep trying. I have never been shunned or ostracised
(Incidentally I have NEVER seen a PDI that even come remotely close to a well exposed slide)

The club I belong to has a large membership (well over 120), a long history and has the usual core of older people who have been members for over 50 years or more. It also has a good representation of younger members, the youngest is I think 17 and she - yes she - comes with her boyfriend, elder brother father and grandfather. Whilst the membership is predominantly male, I would think that 10-15% of the membership are female, and these are not just camp followers either. They make a good representation of photogaphy

Yes, when I joined I didn't know anyone, but soon made friends and was welcomed into the fold. I had previously contacted one of the committee via 'phone and was told to seek him out when I joined. I did so and was in turn introduced to a group of others........However, it is a 'must' that integrating into a club is a two way process with the new member having to make the effort as well as those already long time members.

I have never come accross any 'elitism' in the equipment that is used be it Nikon-Canon or wharever. Although I do believe that there is a club somewhere in the south of England will not admit anyone who has not got a Canon. That is not elitism or snobery, it is just plain stupid!