View Single Post
Old 28th June 2020, 09:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Hello Pete, finding the minimum print time to get a full black on your printing paper is only useful for contact printing your negatives so you can assess them - as described in the halfhill article. It is of no practical use when making prints, for the simple reason that the minimum print time doesn't stay the same , across the grades. It varies according to what filter grade is being used. At grade 0 the "minimum print time" will be much longer than at grade 5.

Alan
Thanks Alan, yes, I'd started to formulate that idea in me 'ed. I think the route I will take is using the dmax contact print and film speed determination strategies to give me good negatives, but in the darkroom with multigrade paper and 2.5 grade, do a test print for best overall tonality and from there embellish with dodging/burning or consider some sort of split grade process if need be.
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was hoping to get straight. I was wandering down the wrong route thinking of taking the dmax contact print idea straight to the print.
Picking up my enlarger tomorrow but I can see it being about 3 months before I've got somewhere to put it.
Pete