View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
+1
Edit: a question comes to mind -- what is it about the Distagon that you don't like? It would help to know so that I might comment on whether Mamiya TLR wides may be more suitable.
I bought a Hasselblad 500CM kit, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, about 9 years ago, when prices were at their lowest. The 50mm Distagon f/4 was in a Compur. The camera is used primarily for architectural detail, on a heavy 1960s tripod, mirror up, cable release, aperture f/11, exposure times 1/4 to 1 sec, Delta 100 film.
The negs, processed in Rodinal, are printed with a De Vere/Ilford 500 head and Componon (not 'S'). Enlarged to A3 (approx 8x), detail in the corners were noticeably degraded compared with similar features shot with the 80mm Planar f/2.8. I discussed this in these and other pages and the response was to invest in the later version (in a Prontor) with a floating element - effectively two focusing rings. There was an improvement but it's still not as sharp as the 80mm Planar, which is my reference.
I'm quite happy to focus manually, using a £10 B&Q laser distance measurer, so I don't need a reflex camera.

Last edited by JOReynolds; 3rd December 2019 at 03:54 PM.