View Single Post
Old 4th June 2009, 11:56 PM
Friend

Vincent I'd make reference to Hollywood's choice in the 1950s and early 1960s as to which it chose. In areas where the story and characters were key B&W was the choice e.g. High Noon where technicolour was possible but would have been a distraction. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" was another example. This time 10 years later when the cost of colour v B&W was unlikely to have been a consideration

Then there were the drama documentary films. "On the Waterfront and Twelve Angry Men" spring to mind as well as one of the greatest black comedies " Dr Strangelove".

Moving into the more modern era, "Raging Bull" and "Good Night and Good Luck" spring to mind.

The link is that B&W in these films enhance the storyline which concerns the people interaction. You need to see and be allowed to concetrate on the interaction of people which B&W enhances.

Here's an acid test. Ask the audience to imagine "L.A. Confidential" in B&W and see if anyone can think of any part in which colour helped the story.

Better still invite those in the audience who have seen it on TV in colour to watch it again in B&W( I think it is still possible to remove colour on TV sets) when it re-appears as it most certainly will and decide which is better.

B&W allows a concentration on the object and what is actually happening. You remain wedded to the whole actual event before you and not the constituent parts which compete for attention in colour.

I'll concede ground in pure flora and fauna scenes which are static but even in most animal scenes there's action. The lioness is about to bring down the impala. What do you see? The colours of the two animals? No its the lioness' sinews as it stretches out for the impala's back and the look on both animals faces as both know the end is near. B&W allows this emotional connection to surface which colour tend to suppress.

Best of luck. The very fact you've been asked to speak suggests that at least some of the audience harbours doubts about the supremacy of colour.

Mike