Thread: Masking easels
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2018, 04:06 PM
Friend

Matt, the answer is: it depends. If you are happy with set borders and set sizes of prints such as 5x7 and 8x10 then there is a lot to be said for fixed easels or speed easels as our American friends call them.

My experience of this in 5x7 ( Paterson) is good. No adjustment required and each of the borders is parallel but of course is fixed in size. Slide the paper into it and you're done. The Paterson 8x10 works the same way and I am sure is as good but I don't have one.

If you want to be creative with different border sizes and paper sizes then the 2 blade Beard comes into its own. The blades run on rails at their far ends and remain parallel. They are heavy and wide which helps keep paper flat. Those where the blades are "loose" at their far ends might be OK but because there are no guide rails can be slightly out of true.

The problem with blades that are even slightly out of true, even as little as 1.5 mm is that the eye, well my eye at least, has the ability to see this over much above 10 inches. It may bother you or it may not. People vary

Mike