View Single Post
Old 31st August 2016, 08:11 AM
Friend

Thanks for reading the Ilford interview, folks.

Ilford may not be the same company they were before the Pemberton investment or indeed the MBO but the impression I got speaking to their team as a part of putting this interview together was that many of their older, more senior staff were still around and involved with their day-to-day operations.

Whilst Ilford may not have been hit as hard from a sheer volume aspect, as Kodak / Fuji and others were, the decline in the volume of film sales had an understandably large impact on them. As a much smaller company than those mentioned above, these kinds of hits are harder to take but the fact they're still here AND that they've increased their social media engagement is something to look to as a sign of their commitment to staying around and helping keep film alive.

That's my take, but I'm an unashamed optimist, so take from that what you will.

One very interesting note I took away from their responses was an overall feeling of, "If there's demand, we'll make it". Read into that what you will.

Granted that these days, companies such as Ilford may be paying more attention to social media than forums such as this, but as a commercial entity under increased external pressures, they have to spend their efforts where they can generate the most impact and (visible) return.

My advice would be to keep working here as you all have been doing and if you can, take a peek on social media - Twitter especially has a THRIVING and engaged film photography and darkroom community. I'd love to see you all there.

~ EMULSIVE

Film reviews, experiments, interviews and culture. It's about latitude & depth, not megapixels & actuations.