View Single Post
Old 9th July 2016, 03:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
If this is a valued lens, I would definitely have it professionally repaired. Even simple disassembly can cause damage, unless you have the correct tools and technique....
Alex.
True. I would never attempt such a repair with one of my Rolleis. My patients (victims?) - the folders and Mamiya lenses - are each worth less than a week's worth of gasoline, and are simple to work on. Anything more complex or valuable and it would be off to a proper tech with it.

But if you do want to work on yours, I recommend a lens spanner wrench (~$25 here on Amazon), fine needlenose pliers and jewelers screwdrivers. A quiet workshop with good ventilation is nice, so you don't intoxicate yourself sniffing solvent vapours .

It's quite satisfying when all goes well, but there are lots of ways it can go south on you. You can mess up a good lens if a tiny little spring goes "sproing" and flies out the window. That said, the simpler shutters are easy to work on, and you're not actually disassembling them at all, just taking the face plate (speed setting plate) off to expose the workings so you can flush it out.

Hope you get it fixed one way or another.

Cheers,
Svend