Thread: Enlarger bulb
View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:51 PM
Friend

I've just tried an LED GU-5.3 in my Durst enlarger and can confirm that it doesn't fit the holder. The prongs are too close together compared to the correct bulb. The difference in designation pointed out by Edmund is clearly significant.
The other point I've noted relates to the Diall LED bulbs from B&Q. I picked one up today to use in my Durst M601. Having looked closely at it, however, I don't think it will work in this type of condenser enlarger. The bulb in the M601, and similar models, is aimed at a 45 deg mirror which reflects the light down onto the condensers. The LED bulb has an opaque section which comes up to around half the height of the globe. I haven't tried it yet, as the enlarger has the colour head fitted at the moment, but I suspect it won't send enough light in the right direction for even illumination. I can see it working perfectly in the more conventional arrangement where it shines straight down onto the condensers. I assume that's how the Meopta system works, but please correct me if I'm wrong as I would be delighted if the bulb will work in the Durst. I will try it out tomorrow if I have time and report back.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro