Thread: Realism
View Single Post
Old 10th January 2016, 05:20 PM
Friend

I dunno, a lot of people (non photographers) I speak to seem to accept the idea that photos these days are not representative of reality.
Show them a beautiful landscape picture, film or digital and they will say its beautiful but kind of tag on a caveat in the same sentence, "its beautiful but it has been manipulated", which to me seems to devalue it some what.
It used to be that a photo had credibility, an integrity, some measure of truth, an expectation that for the most part, what the viewer is looking at is pretty close to actuality, subject to individual interpretation of course.
Such is the proliferation of manipulated imagery these days, I think its kinda sad that photography has lost that credibility.
The counter argument to that is that photography has always been manipulated, but I think the difference is that for 100 years it was the exception rather than the rule.
These days its the other way round, everything is manipulated to hell and back and nobody bats an eyelid.
Part of why I like shooting and printing film is because its difficult to alter or at least I don't have the skill to significantly alter it and thus it has a modicum of honesty you don't find in a digital file anymore...