Thread: Slide Projector
View Single Post
Old 19th December 2009, 05:00 PM
Friend

Hi Stuart,

This is a common problem caused more by the slide than the lens because the film tends to "pop" in the heat from the lamp. Glass mounts solve that but have their own problems (mould, dirty glasses etc). Or you can get a Leitz lens with a curved field. I'm not sure of the name - I dare say someone here will know both that and whether it would fit your Kindermann.

I have a Zeiss-Ikon Perkeo and the standard lens with that was not brilliant. However the machinery and build quality is very good, and I bought the higher quality lens to replace the standard one. This made a big difference in sharpness and contrast, and the depth of field seemed better also. Leitz Pradovit projectors came with a decent lens as standard which is why they had such a good reputation, but personally I don't think the projector chassis is a patch on the Z-I. When I was in a camera club they had a hugely expensive 250W Leitz and the thing was forever jamming. It went back and forth for service but was never properly fixed. I personally have no time for Kodak Carousels either, most seem to have poor illumination and the mechanism is complex and troublesome. I have a 6x6 Kindermann which is not bad although again, a better lens would help. So if your Kindermann is basically sound I'd try and find a high quality lens for it.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk