Thread: HP5+ and HC-110
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2021, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
HP5 in ID-11 is a great combo. Very reliable. It is one of two developers that I regularly use with this film.

One thing to be careful about with ID-11 is storage - full bottles only is the way to go.

I'm curious as to what happened with your failures? Did the developer not work at all? Blank films? Or something else?
I agree with Svend, I mix up my own ID11 / D76 as and when required and it is a great combo with HP5+. It gives me lovely negs to print, quite easily.

I'd have to slightly disagree about needing to store full bottles only though Svend. Whenever I mix a new batch up, I put it into green wine bottles and as the liquid goes down. I currently squirt in some propane gas i.e. lighter gas, which is available at £1 at the Pound Shop, which I got put onto this by a couple of users on here, after previously using much overpriced tinned gases for years. Doing this, oxidization is avoided and the developer is kept fresh for months at a time.

The only small problem I had at the beginning, was finding a way to squirt it into things safely. I finally bought a wooden spatula for about £1 from Wilko's, whose hole in the handle is just the right size to fit the gas nozzle in. Beware of liquids near the entrance though e.g. a Nova processor, as the power of the gas sprayed developer far and wide when I first tried it directly! I now squirt into a small bottle first - as the gas is heavier than air, and then pour it gently into the Nova slot.

As for film failures, I now always do a film clip test, which at least tells me my developer is active. I do this after a blank film done in Rodinal. Like Svend, I would be curious to your problems with ID11 / D76.

Terry S