View Single Post
Old 30th August 2009, 11:42 PM
Friend

Default Pentax 645N - Landscape & Portrait Positions

I may be out of luck here on FADU as so far there seems to be no-one here who has the above camera but with a bit of luck the same thing will apply to other 645s.

I may have misread other threads on 645s in APUG or simply misunderstood them but it seems that in the 645 format the neg is the opposite way round to the way you'd intuitively hold the camera i.e. holding the P645N camera in the landscape position which with 35mm cameras is horizontally and will give you a landscape type neg, will in fact give you a "portrait neg" in 645. That is to say the neg will be 6 high and 4.5 wide. So to get a landscape type picture the camera is held in the vertical position so the neg appears as 6 wide and 4.5 high. I hope this makes sense.

So have I got this right and does it apply to all 645 cameras? Does the viewfinder in fact appear this way as well so when holding the camera horizontally the rectangular view in the finder appears higher than it is wide so at least you are reminded that to get the landscape view you need to turn the camera to the vertical position.

If what I have said above isn't total nonsense then it seems that this is counter-intuitive which is a pity. Certainly most of my 35mm shots are landscape format and I find holding the camera vertically is much more awkward.

The question arises because I have toyed with the idea of getting a P645N and have read a few reviews but for some reason have never seen anything about having to hold the camera counter-intuitively.

Thanks for any help

Mike