Thread: Hass 500CM
View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2014, 03:40 PM
Friend

I bought a 500cm earlier in the year and it was my first medium format camera. I paid £380 on ebay without the 50mm lens, which was a conscious decision, as I only plan to use a 50mm and 150mm. I was surprised at the condition of the camera; it was certainly in very good to mint condition.
I corresponded with Ffordes on several occasions and found them to be very helpful.
I was hoping to get a 501cm and most people would recommend that you get one of them purely on the grounds that they are younger. But a good condition 500 which has been looked after and not hammered by a professional should still outlive many of us.
The viewfinder is supposed to vignette with the longer telephoto lenses, but it has not been that noticeable to me.
I really enjoy using it. I have bought a few extra backs allowing me the option of using slow, fast and colour film - it almost has the flexibility of a digital camera !
The body and two lenses are weighty (but probably not as much as the loads carried by many of the forums large format users !!!).
If the camera comes with a warranty the price looks reasonable.
David