View Single Post
Old 18th February 2017, 09:22 AM
Friend

Default Brown Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
Forgive me for asking, but I'm intrigued that people frequently talk of storing photographic chemicals in brown bottles. Surely the manufacturers would supply their products in dark bottles if they were light sensitive, whereas most (notably excepting Fotospeed) are sold in white or transparent plastic.
It is almost certainly be because some chemicals are affected by UV light so brown or dark green (almost unobtainable except in wine bottles) is the answer. The liquid chemicals supplied by various companies are almost always sold in thick plastic bottles which will do the same trick.

The RA4 developer by Kodak in the 20 ltr packs is one exception but they are designed to be all mixed up in one go and used in a photofinishing machine which is light tight. I only use mine in smallish amounts at one time so when I mix what I need, that goes into brown bottles and the remaining stock goes back into the original box and stored in a cupboard.

I addition, plastic apart from solid nylon, is pervious to oxygen so storing them in a bottle of any colour will extend the life. This does not apply to fixers bleaches,stop baths etc, they can be stored in any bottle.

Last edited by John King; 18th February 2017 at 09:26 AM.