View Single Post
Old 7th February 2019, 11:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Norman,

To take the 5x4 format you are basically looking at Durst, De Vere or LPL. There are some others but these three are popular with printers. I use De Vere.

Whilst a 5X4 enlarger is good for 5x4 and MF they can be a bit over-kill when doing 35mm. But this can be done, something to consider if you do a lot of 35mm?

Buying - keep an eye on the auction sites and look at places like the Secondhand Darkroom Supplies who keep a good selection of used enlargers.

Best of luck finding your enlarger.

Neil.
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your suggestions. When you say overkill do you mean in terms of size/clunkyness? I shoot a majority of 6x7 and 5x4 but also 35mm on trips etc which I have a stack of and would like to start to print up. Ideally I would like to have two enlargers set up – one for pre-flashing and the other for printing. I recently purchased a durst printo processor.

I have found a laborator 900 with lenses and carriers etc at a good price. I’m thinking to maybe purchase this to use for MF and 35mm and keep a look out for a good deal on a 5x4 enlarger that I could use for flashing and printing LF.

Does this sound like a good idea practically speaking? Or would I be better opting for a LF enlarger and a dedicated 35mm enlarger? In this case, could the 35mm enlarger be used for pre flashing prints?

Many thanks,
Norman