View Single Post
Old 21st January 2021, 07:45 PM
Friend

I am well over the experiment stage with my photography. For B+W a medium speed film a proven developer (ID11 or Rodinal) and I can do what I want within my skills a capabilities. I like new darkroom materials such as the new Ilford MG5, that has made things easier.

Colour, well more or less the same. No slide film though, that is too expensive now.

It takes years to realise that with film photography, a lot of the skill needed for success is via experience, not the kit you own. In theory, although I rely upon my cameras meter almost exclusively you should be able expose a film with knowledge that you succeeded without outside help.

Someone starting now using just film has a long uphill struggle because the vast knowledge of active Photographic Society or club members was the fountain of knowledge for beginners. Today you would be struggling to find even one in even large clubs.

It is much the same with car drivers, they struggle to even check the oil and water, no mechanical knowledge. No matter how little you know can help at times.

Last edited by John King; 21st January 2021 at 07:49 PM.