View Single Post
Old 17th June 2019, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default Dumfries and Galloway

Wigtown, Garlieston and Isle of Whithorn are nice to visit. There’s a disused harbour in Wigtown, and Garlieston is where they built Mulberry Harbours for D-Day. There is a harbour and lighthouse at Isle of Whithorn, and a famous cave nearby. The Isle is not actually an island. The film The Wicker Man featured scenes from the coast there, and apparently the stumps of legs remain where the giant wooden figure was burned.
There is access to the coast between Wigtown and Gatehouse of Fleet. There is a network of small roads off the main road which run down to the sea. I spent a nice afternoon last summer on a pebble beach overlooking Wigtown Bay. I would say the coastal landscape is more gentle than dramatic, but it’s a great area to visit and explore. The Mull of Galloway is just West of there, and could be interesting. The West facing coast there is likely to be more dramatic. I don’t know if you cycle, but the area around Wigtown, etc is great for cycling, although the A roads are with avoiding.
One last thing! Wigtown has a large number of secondhand bookshops, including the largest one in Britain. They are well worth a look if you’re in the town.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro