View Single Post
Old 17th November 2013, 11:13 PM
Friend

Do you know if the focusing screen (pic 2) is removable? It looks like it might be, and that would possibly allow you to clean it more effectively. I don't have much experience with Canon products, but the instruction manual would help. If you don't have one, I am sure a copy will be available online. In pic 2, it looks like the foam mirror-damper may have deteriorated. This is a very common problem on cameras from the 70s and 80s. When the foam breaks down it can leave sticky blobs on parts inside the camera. This may be the cause of the 'dirt' you are seeing. It is possible to replace the foam, and there are kits available online. They are normally referred to as light-seal replacements, and are sometimes advertised on ebay. Be careful to avoid contact with the mirror as it is very easily damaged. Also be careful if the focusing screen is plastic, as some solvents may damage it. Dirt in the viewing parts of the camera doesn't normally affect the pictures, and it may be worth trying a film in it to see how it works. I hope you manage to fix the problem. Alex.