View Single Post
Old 5th May 2016, 07:38 PM
Friend

Default Homemade Contact Printing Frame

Hi there,
I have just spent the best part of the winter putting this contact printing frame together. I'm almost there, but as it has unfolded, the most difficult decisions and choices have presented themselves right at the end. - I couldn't source a brass bar and catches for the 'door lock', so I just decided to use the oak ply, with oak ply catches. I have mused on this choice for a while before proceeding further, and I'm (almost) sure that it will be adequate enough for the tasks ahead.

My main use will be for 4x5 contact prints although I decided to use the dimensions that I have used in the vague hope that someday in the future I will be able to sit my own 8x10 negative in it.

My questions are - should I split the 'back door' ? (I understand that this facility is required for some alternative techniques, but I don't have any practical experience of these other techniques to decide if I should split or not).
Also, I have finished it using several layers of Danish Oil, and a few coats of Marine Yacht varnish to seal. - I'm wondering if this might possibly have chemical processing issues in the darkroom environment ?

I would greatly appreciate any FADU members input before proceeding further. Any general thoughts on contact printing are welcome.

I have used several layers of oak plywood, conjoined by white wood glue. The frame is absolutely solid. On the heavy side, but very nice to look at.

JP

The dimensions are -
Outside frame - 40cm x 35cm
Front window - 30cm x 25cm
The frame is 28mm thick and stands 55mm on its legs.
The glass is 5mm thick and the 'foam' is also 5mm thick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00037.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	2506

Name:	DSC00038.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	2507

Name:	DSC00039.jpg