View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Well, Imagon lenses are of course excellent for trying different grades of diffusion. Though I know only of Imagons for large formats.
I never tried this, but once read about the advice to cover the lens with a stretched piece of lady stockings. At least cheap enough to try.
There was a 120mm Imagon. I have one that someone has mounted on a focusing mechanism (probably from another old German tele lens) and I can use it with my Nikon SLR using a LTM to Nikon adapter. The focus scale distances are not correct but focus through the viewfinder is fine. The mount's range is such that it would suit other SLRs and still give focus at infinity.

Of course the suggestion to try diffuser or soft focus attachment is much more rational, at least to start with. I mentioned it only because the OP has a Mamiya for which several soft focus lenses can be used (off the shelf, not cobbled together).

Using the black stocking diffuser in enlarging spreads the darkness, not the highlights, so maybe not always the best for portraits, but can give effective moody effects with other subjects.