Thread: Enlarger bulb
View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:18 PM
Administrator

it's a newspaper reading a press release from a scientific organisation and, as always, wholly failing to understand a word of it. Also as always, deliberately concentrating on the doom and gloom in order to increase their circulation.

High intensity visible light is known to cause damage in susceptible people. Visible light is often called "blue light" to distinguish it from ultraviolet and infrared light so it is possible the original article was using this term for all visible light.

Saying that, blue light is more prone to cause a problem as it has higher energy - the reason why UV is particularly dangerous as Michael has been warned about.

White LEDs are usually made from blue or UV LEDs that excite a phosphor coated on the LED to give the white light - hence you may want to avoid looking at white LEDs directly through a magnifier, but I don't know how much of the UV (if any) gets through the phosphor (manufacturer's datasheets will show this if it worries anyone) and by the time it has been through your enlarger to spread the beam, and given the small area of the focus finder, the final light intensity is barely enough to focus the negative so I don't see an issue there.

Just another "we are doomed I tell ye! Dooooommmed!" newspaper nonsense.

Last edited by Bob; 2nd February 2020 at 10:29 PM.