View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Martin - really interesting feedback, and most helpful. Thank you!

If your times at 1+2 are basically the same as Iford's posted times for 1+1, then it's no wonder I'm getting the results I am with this film-developer combo. I checked my developing notes last night for a few rolls of D-100, and they were all as per Ilford's times for D76 @ 1+1, with a couple of recent ones at N-10% (sp. 8.5 to 9.5 minutes at EI 50). This was using standard Ilford agitation of 10 sec. / minute. These are way different from your times.

Also, I'm assuming that the higher dilution of 1+2 would give a softer rendering vs. 1+1.

I notice your agitation is for 15 sec. / min. - would this be enough of an increase to cause your times to be so much shorter? It doesn't seem likely, but I thought I'd ask in case this film was super fussy about agitation.

In any case, may I ask how you find the tonality and tonal gradations with your regimen? As mentioned, my results are lacking rich mid-tones and those subtle gradations that make for a really pleasing image.
Hi Svend.

I doubt there is very much difference between 10 s every minute and 15 s every minute, in terms of development times.

Developing film at 1+2 will give a softer rendering than 1+1 - but only for a given development time.

I am developing film to a specific subject brightness ratio - so the developed negative would look no different to one developed at a development dilution of 1+1.

Because of the weaker development solution, I need to develop for longer in a 1+2 to get the same degree of development to meet my SBR than I would if I was developing at 1+1.

The results I achieve using my regime give my richly toned negatives that are easy to print from and result in nice full toned prints.

I think Delta 100 is a great film but needs very precise development - both developing time and temperature control need to be spot on - far more so than for more conventional films such as FP4/HP5.

Delta 100 works really well for Zone System film development - there will be much more forgiving films to work with if you don't need Zone System developing such as FP4 and HP5.

Hope this helps

Martin