View Single Post
Old 24th July 2015, 08:36 AM
Friend

Default Leica's

Concentrating on the two models of Leica that was the main subject of the question. Basically the Leica 11 as far as I can remember did not have any shutter speeds less than 1/25th apart from being older than the 111g. The 111g has a full set of speeds from 1sec to 1/1000th plus the benefit of a bright line finder.

A really good 111G in mint condition both cosmetically and mechanically will fetch a premium price, I have seen a really good one as much as £1400 -£1500 whilst a usable one can be bought for around £600-£750.

I have used 111g in the past and found it very easy to get on with and the finder quite good and as good as cameras got when they were manufactured.

As for lenses an Elmar 50mm/F3.5 so long as it is a coated version, will not dissapoint. For a few (quite a few) more pounds/Euros a 50mm/F2.8 Elmar is superb. The 111G I had use of actually had a Nikon 50mm/F2 which was possibly as good as a Leitz Summicron of the era.
(and a whole lot cheaper if you can find one - they are quite rare).

Having said all of that, both of these cameras are quite elderly now so I would give serious thought to a full service to ensure that the speeds are accurate and the rangefinder has no nasties. They are known to loose their silvering and become difficult to use.

My choice - the 111g

have a look at this site http://www.peterloy.com/ the owner only deals in classic cameras and knows his stuff about Leica's

Last edited by John King; 24th July 2015 at 08:41 AM.